Senior Manager, Public Policy (Public Sector)
- New York, NY
Manager, Public Policy (Public Sector) Japan
Would you like to be part of a public policy team that is driving the adoption of cloud computing in Japan? Do you have government affairs experience and the tech policy experience necessary to help further advance Amazon Web Services (AWS)* as a leading cloud platform provider with the Japanese Government? The AWS Public Policy team is at the forefront of helping customers maximize the benefits of cloud computing by removing regulatory and policy blockers to cloud adoption.
AWS is looking for a talented, innovative, and well-connected individual to represent AWS before policy makers in Japan, with a focus on our Public Sector business. You will proactively build relationships with key policymakers, IT decision makers and executives in government and other relevant organizations and help prioritize international, national, and provincial-level government public policy issues faced by AWS.
You will advocate for favorable policies and regulations to promote AWS' business interests in Japan and developing strategies to convince regulators of the security and innovation potential of the cloud. You will also lead AWS's participation in key business associations and coalitions that are critical to advancing AWS public policy and business objectives.
This Tokyo-based position will lead public sector policy efforts reporting to the Head of Public Policy for AWS Japan, and includes the following responsibilities:
Under the direction of the head of public policy help develop, lead and implement AWS government affairs advocacy objectives and policy/political priorities for the public sector in Japan;
• Survey, research, analyze and report on central and local government regulatory policy activity on the Internet, spectrum, IoT, data and cloud technology, and other topics important for AWS business;
• Support the drafting and submission of documents representing the views of AWS before regulatory and legislative bodies;
• Represent key positions directly and through industry associations/coalitions to the central, prefecture, designated municipalities and local level governments in Japan to enable an unrestricted, transparent and technology friendly regulatory environment for the growth of AWS;
• Work collaboratively and transparently with the AWS business units to ensure alignment between core business priorities, public policy goals and "go to market" strategies;
• Assess and communicate potential regulatory threats and government sector market segment (revenue) opportunities and threats, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and policy positions, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and key initiatives in concert with AWS business objectives;
• Facilitate high-level meetings between AWS executives and key stakeholders, including senior government officials, regulators, industry association and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company's public policies;
• Support participation and corporate membership opportunities in industry associations/coalitions on behalf of AWS, and ensure appropriate utilization of high judgment, high integrity outside consultants.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
• Strong knowledge and experience in information technology-related (IT) advocacy and public policy development such as cloud computing policies.
• Public policy experience on IT procurement, national/local government IT and data management reform, IT government policies on infrastructure/applications, information security, privacy protection, liability limitation, Internet access, IT services, corporate compliance, export control, open data / open government and regulatory requirements for critical regulated verticals (such as finance, healthcare, telecommunication, energy).
• 10+ years of public or private experience working in a legislative or regulatory body, or representing an Internet technology company or association, before national and local policymakers. Significant experience running public policy and/or public sector procurement policy efforts is helpful.
• Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate, political and educational institution levels.
• Fluent written and spoken English is necessary, along with native-level Japanese.
• Demonstrated ability performing Japanese regulatory research producing high quality regulatory writing, including both external filings and internal memos, strategy documents, opinion letters and standards documents.
• Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity, with a strong professional reputation in the industry.
• Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization (such as legal, security, compliance, PR and senior leaders of business segment) and cultures as well as working independently.
• Comfortable working in ambiguous environments; self-starter that can use good judgment and resourcefulness to advance public policy priorities in the absence of clear guidance.
• Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
• Demonstrated track-record of achieving meaningful changes to regulatory environment through public policy advocacy, and demonstrated ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
• Managerial experience with small self-directed teams is helpful.
• A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Public Policy, etc.). An advanced degree and certification to practice law are preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
• Experience with data related "innovation agendas" and artificial intelligence is helpful.
• Knowledge of US, EU and APAC regulation and regional frameworks related to telecommunications, IT and cloud computing issues is an asset.
Amazon は男女雇用機会均等法を順守しています。人種、 出身国、性別、性的指向、障がい、年齢、その他の属性によって差別することなく、平等に採用選考の機会を提供しています。障がいをお持ちの方は、以下をご覧ください。https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/jp/
Back to top