Senior Manager, Data Science
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about creating science-based solutions and providing rich data insights for business problems that our senior leaders are trying to solve around employee experience for the largest associate workforce in the world? Would you love to see your research in practice, manage a team of innovative scientists in diverse science job families and impact our frontline employees globally? Then becoming a Senior Data Science manager within Organizational Research and Measurement (ORM) might be the right spot for you! ORM uses science, research and technology to optimize employee experience and performance across the full employee lifecycle, from first contact through exit. Our goal is to be best and most diverse workforce in the world.
We use survey research, machine learning, experimentation and causal modeling to understand business dynamics, drive behavioral change, support evidence-based decision-making, and help develop innovative, intelligent products that Attract, Hire, Retain, Grow, and Gracefully Exit all frontline employees in Amazon Operations.
Success in this role will require strong stakeholder management skills, executive presence, relentlessly pursuing innovation and managing a diverse team of scientists. You and your team will inform senior business leaders by providing associate insights that will guide attraction, retention, and more. You will enable Amazon HR to be the most scientific HR organization in the world.
The Ideal Candidate Would Be:
A Team Player: You understand that we succeed or fail as a team. You are ready to step up beyond your core responsibilities and go the extra mile for the project and your team. You nimbly overcome barriers to deliver the best product more quickly than expected.
A Perpetual Student: You seek knowledge and insight. You challenge yourself to turn moments into master's classes. Whether closing a gap, developing a new skill, or staying ahead of your industry, you revel in the joy of learning and growing.
A Skilled Communicator: You excel when interacting with business and technical partners and can turn data into a narrative for a diverse customer base.
A Trusted Advisor: You work closely with stakeholders to define key business needs and deliver on commitments. You enable effective decision making by retrieving and aggregating data from multiple sources and compiling it into a digestible and actionable format.
An Inventor at Heart: You innovate on behalf of your customer by proactively implementing improvements, enhancements, and customizations. Your customers marvel at your creative solutions to challenges they had not yet identified.
A Fearless Explorer: You are drawn to take on the hardest problems, navigate ambiguity, and battle skepticism. You never settle, even in the face of overwhelming obstacles.
• Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• 8+ years of experience working in data science ideally in the tech or consumer industry
• 5+ years of experience managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, and/or Economists
• Evidence of doing or directing science work with high positive impact on business outcomes
• Experience hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
• Management experience for working on cross-functional projects.
• Proven achievements of developing and managing a long-term research vision and portfolio of research initiatives, with algorithms and models that have been successfully integrated in production systems
• A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• 10+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company
• 7+ years of experience managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, and/or Economists
• 4+ years of experience managing data scientists, including intermediate managers
• Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with one scripting language such as R, MATLAB, Python or others
• Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle)
• Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical and statistical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top