The Alexa AI Entity Linking and Resolution team is looking for an experienced Sr. Applied Science Manager to lead our science organization consisting of multiple teams of talented and passionate applied scientist developing state of the art, scalable AI solutions to delight Alexa users. In this role, you will be responsible for driving a multi-year science roadmap and delivering high impact solutions, in production, to Alexa developers and end users. Your work will contribute to improving customer experience and expose novel, exciting capabilities to Alexa users. In this role you will work in close collaboration with engineering and product teams in a fast-paced, customer obsessed environment. A successful candidate will have strong foundations in mathematics, statistics and machine learning with exceptional communication and leadership skills, and a proven track record of delivering complex scientific and engineering solutions under tight deadlines. Hands-on experience with large-scale, state-of-the-art natural language processing, information retrieval or search systems is a plus.
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics with at least 7 years of related work experience.
- At least 4 years of professional management experience, proven track record of managing science teams, and hiring and developing top talent.
- Domain expertise in natural language processing, information retrieval and search.
- Familiarity with machine learning and statistical modeling techniques, including state-of-the art deep learning techniques, scientific thinking, and the ability to invent.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as C/C++ and Python.
- PhD with specialization in natural language processing and/or information retrieval and search with at least 10 years of related work experience.
- At least 6 years of professional management experience, proven track record of managing science teams, and hiring and developing top talent.
- Strong publication record.
- Strong software design and development skills.
- Proven track record of innovation and advancing the state of the art.
- Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.