Senior Manager, Amazon DocumentDB (with MongoDB compatibility)
- Seattle, WA
Join us to advance the state-of-the art in database technology and serve customers all around the world.
Our team develops Amazon DocumentDB (with MongoDB compatibility), a fully-managed cloud database that enables customers to persist JSON documents and retrieve them with a powerful query language. We are developing new query capabilities, pushing the bounds of performance, driving distributed systems innovation in scalability and high availability, and investing in user experience. As a senior leader on the team, you will collaborate with your team members, partners, and senior leadership to shape the product vision, and you will own your team's engineering plan and execution. You will hire, organize, and serve an organization spanning managers and engineers in research, prototyping, software design, and implementation. You will lead your organization in honing its processes and in building team culture, and you will facilitate staff members' career development. Depending on your specific role within the organization, your team may focus on core database technology and operating systems, distributed systems, telemetry and developer experience, or a multiplicity of these areas.
If you are excited by the prospect of making it easier for customers to store, query, and analyze data at scale; if you are interested in databases, operating systems, distributed systems, and/or developer experience; and if you are looking to build and serve a diverse, inclusive, high-performing organization we would love to hear from you.
What It's like to Work Here:
1) Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
2. Work/Life Balance
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
3. Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting and developing staff. You will have access to senior leaders, domain experts, and tenured Amazonians as mentors, and will be given opportunities to grow in line with your personal interests.
• A Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent skills and knowledge
• At least five years' experience designing, building, shipping, and maintaining production software as an engineer
• At least two years' experience as an engineering manager and at least an additional two years' experience managing managers
• Able to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others' ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions, including effective written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience communicating status and forward-looking plans with transparency to stakeholders, including skip-level management
• Demonstrated experience employing Agile development practices such as Scrum and Kanban
• Demonstrated ability to hire, enable, coach, and promote software engineers and technical managers
• Demonstrated ability to audit and provide constructive feedback on technical designs, code, project plans, and project execution
• Experience building databases, operating systems, or production distributed systems, as an engineer or manager
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Back to top