Senior Loads and Dynamics Engineer
- Redmond, WA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
To deliver on that mission, Amazon is looking for talented candidates who combine superb technical, research and analytical capabilities with a demonstrated ability to get the right things done quickly and effectively. We're looking for people who innovate and love solving hard problems and building hardware. You will work hard, have fun, and make history!
This senior structural dynamics engineer must have a successful background in spacecraft development, and is a domain expert in structural and dynamics analysis (modal, sine, transient, random vibration, acoustic, shock, multi body dynamics), system test, data correlation and model validation.
The ideal candidate has a history of supporting spacecraft structural architecture trades, working with a multidisciplinary team to define optimal vehicle configurations for mission performance, reliability, mass, cost.
• Performing structural / dynamic loads analyses, and multi-body dynamic simulations for subsystem and vehicle level trades, leading to spacecraft structural design selection.
• Assembling, scrutinizing, and negotiating requirements, defining test specifications and margins.
• Key contributor to spacecraft structural / dynamics test planning, equipment and instrumentation selection, and data acquisition.
• Supporting static test of primary structure for maximum expected dynamic inertial loading in mass optimized designs.
• Pretest simulations, response limiting/notching definition, and post-test data analysis and correlation / validation of analytical model.
• FEA models for all vehicle states, GSE/transport, Launch vehicle (stowed), on-orbit states (dispensing, deployments)
• Work with GN&C team to deliver linear modal models of principal structural disturbance responses to the integrated flight simulation & similar analysis tools.
• Pointing accuracy trades; build dynamic disturbance models from spacecraft MMAs, and incorporating predictions of thermal profile transients, to identify and mitigate jitter effects on pointing precision.
• Developing structural analysis methods and best practices, mentor junior staff.
• Analysis of bolted and bonded joints, potted inserts, and composite laminate analysis.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Bachelor's degree or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related degree, or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of experience in the design and structural/dynamics analysis of complex structures
• Full cycle development experience with; architecture trades, detailed subsystem and vehicle level analyses, build & test, validate, qualify, fly and deploy.
• 1+ years of experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) with commercial tools such as ANSYS, NASTRAN, FEMAP, ABAQUS, LS-DYNA
• 1+ years experience with multi-body dynamics analysis and tools such as MSC/ADAMS, Simpack, or similar
• 1+ years programming experience in Python/Matlab/C/C++
• 5+ years of experience in structural testing and validation/qualification of analysis models
• PhD in mechanical engineering, materials science, or aerospace engineering, or related field
• Experience with jitter analysis.
• Background in structural dynamics (shock, modal, transient, and random vibration analysis).
Understanding of stiffness/strength analysis, material selection trades, composite materials analysis.
• Previous technical responsibilities in the engineering and analysis of complex spacecraft structures from interrogating all requirements to concept trades, build, test and qualification, and successful production deployment at volume. Your stuff has been to space, successfully.
• Experienced with volume manufacture of metallic and/or composite structural components
• CAD - Siemens NX
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top