Senior HRBP, Japan
- Perth, Australia
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a dynamic, growing business unit within Amazon.com. Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. Using AWS, companies can requisition compute power, storage, and other services - gaining access to a global computing infrastructure that is the backbone of Amazon.com's multi-billion dollar retail business. Today, AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers millions of active monthly customers from start-ups to multi-national corporations to governments.
Amazon is looking for an exceptional HR leader to drive the development and implementation of the HR Strategy in support of the AWS Infrastructure Leadership in Japan. This role requires a progressive, data driven and customer obsessed Human Resources Leader who will have responsibility of driving organization effectiveness while implementing HR programs such as annual review process, promotions, and performance management and employee engagement.
The individual in this role must understand business priorities and translate them into a HR agenda that supports the business. The ideal candidate will have the ability to diagnose issues and influence solutions/outcomes. The individual in this role will need to interface effectively with professionals at all levels of the organization. You will need business acumen, excellent communication skills, influencing skills, strategic thinking and planning/project management skills, as well as the ability to thrive in a fast paced, rigorous environment.
Day to day, this person will:
• • Work with senior management to develop and implement HR plans and solutions.
• contribute broadly to the Asia and global HR teams, influencing beyond a local remit
• Define HR goals that are based on business drivers and ensuring HR is always looking for underlying people issues to help solve business challenges.
• Earn trust as a partner to the Infrastructure leadership in Japan, Regional HR team and beyond.
• Partner with business on organizational design, workforce planning, succession planning, and skills assessment and development.
• Provide management coaching to front line managers and senior leaders.
• Review and analyze business metrics including data on retention and employee experience in order to recommend systemic improvements.
• Partner with the business to lead both annual and mid-year review processes which focus on performance management and talent development.
• Provide compensation support including salary planning, approval of salary actions, promotions and job re-leveling.
• Work with line managers and employees to address all types of employee relations issues, fairly representing all interests
• Bachelors Degree required in Human Resources Management or related field
• Candidate should have at least 10 years of experience in related HR role
• Experience partnering with business leaders in highly complex and dynamic business setting is required
• Broad experience and specific knowledge of human resource theory, including employee development and performance appraisal systems.
• Strong understanding in Japanese employment laws
• Ability to influence and partner with different levels of the organization to achieve results
• Strong business and HR acumen, including strong problem solving skills, critical thinking, and analysis.
• Experience working in a high-tech, entrepreneurial environment requiring strong multi-tasking abilities. •
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Fluent in Japanese and English
The ideal candidate will be an experienced HR Business Partner with a reputation for taking brave and innovative talent decisions. They will have earned the trust of executives, peers and teams through challenging preconceived norms to add value to a business beyond a pure human capital remit, developing programs that yield measurable change. Possessing natural gravitas and credibility, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of acting as a counselor and sounding board to Senior Management and will be recognized for providing guidance that is indispensable in critical decision making.
They will have built deep relationships across cultural boundaries with both the business and peers within a global, senior HR team and will be respected for approaching challenges with original thinking, penetrating insight and tenacity. They may well also be a subject matter expert in a human capital discipline such as Learning & Development, Talent Management or Compensation and Benefits. Experience of American corporate culture or post-merger / acquisition integration environments may also be beneficial.
They will be a natural 'strategic do-er' who will balance execution strength with strategic insight and may have had previous experience with an online or a game changing organization. They will thrive in fast paced, data driven environments and will have excellent communication and presentation skills, able to 'zoom-in and zoom-out' of detail while not losing sight of bigger-picture objectives.
They will have a preference for fact-based decision making, be numerate, write well and quickly and be able to effortlessly influence across cultures.
Other qualifications include:
• Will have worked in an international, matrixed environment
• Will demonstrate project/program management skills
• Will be adept at coaching
• Will have operated at pace; preferably in an organization experiencing hyper growth in new markets
• Will have delivered change and measurable results in environments with high levels of ambiguity where proven structures or complete data are not the norm
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Back to top