Senior Group Engineering Manager - Software Development
- Bellevue, WA
Amazon's Strategic Sourcing team (SST) is looking for an experienced and motivated software development leader who loves building teams and cloud-scale systems from the ground up, and who wants to help shape the roadmap for Amazon's world-class supply chain management systems. Strategic Sourcing team owns developing sourcing strategies for retail business WW to enable Amazon in procuring inventory at the lower costs and faster lead times.
We build models and systems to systematically negotiate cost with suppliers, optimize how we purchase inventory from our suppliers, and drive improvements in supplier performance. Our software is used in every country with Amazon retail presence, and is a critical link to ensuring that the products our customers want are available when they need them, and in reducing total sourcing costs. Our systems are built entirely in-house, and are on the cutting edge in automated large scale supply chain planning and optimization systems. We're simultaneously developing the science of supply chain planning and solving some of the toughest computational challenges at Amazon. Unlike many companies who buy existing off-the-shelf planning systems, we are responsible for studying, designing, and building systems to suit Amazon's needs.
You will lead a software development and research team, and partner with product managers and business intelligence engineers to develop new features and models. You will design innovative ways to validate and gain insights from your systems' inputs and outputs, as well as focusing on the effectiveness of your system to meet business objectives.
A successful candidate will have an established track record of developing and delivering complex distributed software systems, a keen technical aptitude, excellent project management skills, solid communication skills, and be driven to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You also thrive in a fast-paced environment, have a focus on hiring and developing leaders across multiple teams, have strong skills in analyzing and improving software development processes, and are highly customer focused and is passionate about solving real business problems. We have a team culture that encourages innovation and expect individuals and management alike to take a high degree of ownership for the product vision, and project delivery. This position involves driving regular communication with the leadership including directors, VPs, on risks and strategy of the business. Responsibilities include management of the senior members of the software engineering team including managers and senior engineers, strategic planning, and building on an already productive and innovative software team.
- Drive prioritization and planning of projects and features
- Facilitating the design of the architecture of these distributed and highly scalable systems to solve complex problems.
- Monitoring, validation, and operation of production services
- Owning the inputs and the business outcome through cultivating a culture of relentless auditing and metric monitoring, automatically where possible.
- Setting clear, measurable quality goals for the organization and collaborate across orgs to drive achieving them
- Mentoring and promoting team members and help leaders to grow the organization
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• 12+ years of industry experience.
• 6+ years of experience leading a software development teams through full development life-cycle.
• A passion for people management and mentorship.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience attracting, hiring and maintaining top talent
• Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
• Deep architectural expertise in the design of large-scale, highly available, low latency, distributed systems and software.
• Ability to work with teams at all levels of the organization
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• 2+ years of leading multiple teams and managers
Back to top