The AWS Rack Power team is driving rapid innovation in the power systems used by Amazon Web Services. Our designs are fundamentally changing the data center, providing operational and financial benefits that are critical to the success of the AWS business and its millions of customers. We design and build power equipment used by Amazon.com and AWS services such as EC2, EBS, S3, Glacier, and Outpost. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems, and take big bets on new concepts, enabling AWS services to continue to revolutionize the industry.
What you will do: As a member of the Power Engineering team you will own the source code for firmware running the power electronics for our next generation datacenter hardware. You'll provide leadership in the application of new technologies to enable large scale server deployments in a continuous effort to deliver a world-class customer experience. You will be a firmware subject matter expert in an engineering team responsible for both new product development as well as product sustaining and support. You will write, test, debug and ensure the control of firmware across a global fleet of equipment and delight our customers while doing it. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you'll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You'll have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you'll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We're changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Echo, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world. We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware. Your work will drive efficiency, contributing to Amazon's Climate Pledge. Your work will drive significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will ensure the highest reliability of power equipment.
Why you will love it: You will have exposure to teams and leaders across the entire company. You will be a part of a leading edge product development team. You will see many aspects of the Amazon business. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to improve things for our developers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership and responsibility for defining and executing processes that deliver both savings and productivity for Amazon.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science
• 5+ years' experience in the consumer or industrial electronics industry as an embedded systems design engineer
• 5+ years' experience in embedded C or C++ programming and firmware debugging techniques
• 2+ years' experience with hardware interfaces, schematics reading and board bring-up.
• Experience with common embedded system interfaces and protocols (I2C, SPI, UART, CAN, etc.)
• Master's in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or related field and 3+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience designing software for power electronic systems or other critical systems that have been successfully deployed at scale
• Proficiency in Python and/or other modern scripting and automation languages
• Proficiency developing and debugging
• Experience with rapid iteration prototypes and joint hardware/firmware development
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through product launch
• Excellent written and verbal communications; able to explain complex and technical topics
• Familiar with test equipment and test automation
• Interested and able to travel
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role