Senior Financial Analyst
- Seattle, WA
Who we are:
Amazon Transportation Services (ATS) connects our customers and our shippers. We combine people, technology and products to deliver for our customers at the lowest possible cost. Surface Transportation is the conveyor belt to connect the entire Amazon supply chain. We are a technology company that executes transportation, and we get to do it all at a scale that nobody has ever seen!
We love what we do. We have an incredible team that works hard to change the industry. We are inventing new things each and every day. We rolled out technology in the last two years that rivals anything inside of the transportation space in the last 100 years. We are growing and getting to lead people every single day whether it is in Seattle or Atlanta - Phoenix or Nashville.
As our business grows, we are going to use the same technology and the same standard best practices to build and invent all over the world. If you are interested in growing something new and different, there is an opportunity to do it inside of this space.
Surface Transportation is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Senior Financial Analyst to join its Finance team. This is an exciting opportunity to create and innovate on behalf of our customers and build the transportation experience of the future. This role will have heavy impact and high visibility to the long term strategy for the business, and it will require strong partnership with the Operations teams as well as Finance, Accounting and Technology. Experience with this team opens up amazing career opportunities across Amazon, such as senior roles supporting an impressive array of business areas, project management roles, and/or management opportunities locally, regionally, and globally.
It is not just a truck driving down the highway. If you like taking a larger scope identifying the most cost effective and safest way to deliver to our customer you will enjoy transportation. This entire system has to move like a symphony and it has to be orchestrated. It is an incredible math problem that we have to solve; we have to put statistics and financial models behind it; we have to put algorithms behind it, to work as a team to identify where there are gaps in the process, and solve these issues quickly. In this role you will have a high level of visibility and partner with cross functional teams. We help others understand finance and are the trusted business advisors to our business teams.
Success in this role:
We are looking for a leader who exhibits excellent attention to detail and is comfortable with ambiguity. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to influence business owners, support thoughtful decision-making, and adapt to a rapidly evolving environment. Regular collaboration with executives and various business units across Amazon will allow you the opportunity to exhibit your verbal and written communication skills. A typical day in this role provides an opportunity to improve and create new measures for business effectiveness, innovate creative solutions utilizing large scale data mining tools, and identify high priority projects to maximize results for key stakeholders.
• Use solid financial knowledge and business acumen to build financial models, interpret data, draw conclusions, and make recommendations that deliver results, drive improvements, and influence leaders throughout Amazon. These decisions can have global impact.
• Delivers weekly/monthly financial close. Uses financial systems and advanced MSExcel functions to work with large data sets. Outputs plans, forecasts, budgets, and consolidations.
• Creates effective business partnerships, manages competing priorities, and provides guidance based on data analysis during unexpected events.
• Uses active listening skills intuitively to communicate data (both written and verbal) in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner. Adjusts style for various audiences to articulate complex finance issues clearly.
• Collects and analyzes quantitative data to develop relevant reports that drive cost reductions.
• Participates in hiring, developing, and mentoring peers and team members. Seeks and leverages diverse perspectives in all activities.
• Identifies opportunities to resolve defects proactively. Improves, scales, or simplifies finance tools across teams and organizations.
• Contributes to work life harmony by being a positive, collaborative, and effective influencer to new team members as an indicator of operations excellence.
• BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, or a highly analytical field (e.g., Engineering, Math, and Computer Science) or equivalent.
• Minimum 5+ years of finance experience, or master's degree and three years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working with large-scale data mining and reporting tools (examples: SQL, Tableau, Essbase, Cognos) and other financial systems (examples: Oracle, SAP, Lawson, JD Edwards)
• MBA and/or Professional certifications (CPA/CMA/Qualified Accounting certificate)
• Travel 10%
• Schedule may require occasional work on weekends or holidays.
• May need to work virtually until corporate guidance changes.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top