- Seattle, WA
Economists at Amazon are solving some of the most challenging applied economics questions in the tech sector. Amazon economists apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. Our economists build econometric models using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. A career at Amazon affords economists the opportunity to work with data of unparalleled quality, apply rigorous applied econometric approaches, and work with some of the most talented applied econometricians in the trade.
We are looking for an experienced PhD economist to build long-term causal estimation products using a combination of econometrics, machine learning and statistics leveraging the power of big data. These products lay the foundation of several key initiatives and strategic program investments at Amazon, generating multiple $Bns in incremental value across the company. In this role, you will work closely with some of the leading researchers on causal inference like Guido Imbens (Professor of Economics at Stanford University) and Victor Chernozhukov (Professor of Economics at MIT).
- Applies expertise in causal modeling to develop large-scale systems that are deployed across the company. Reviews and audits modeling processes and results for other scientists, both junior and senior.
- Describes strategic importance of vision inside and outside of team. Identifies business opportunities, define the problem and roadmap to solve it. Brings a department or company-wide perspective in decision making.
- Leads the project plan from a scientific perspective on small to medium product launches including identifying potential risks, key milestones, and paths to mitigate risks
- Sets and balances goals across team to optimize performance against department goals and employee development. Identifies resource needs for the team.
• PhD in Economics or related field.
• Five or more years of experience in tech, consulting, government or academic research.
• Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data
• Strong background in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, and/or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods.
• Hands on experience with at least one of the following: Matlab, R, Python, Stata.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Strong research track record
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top