Senior Documentation Manager
- Seattle, WA
Would you like to lead a team focused on cutting edge cloud technologies? Are you looking for a role in a dynamic, high growth business? The technical documentation team for Amazon Web Services (AWS) is hiring a senior documentation manager to help lead our efforts in delivering technical documentation for AWS deployment and systems management tools and services.
As the senior documentation manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of talented technical and programming writers. You will be responsible for hiring, developing, and growing the writers on your team, and partnering with the service teams to deliver best-in-class technical documentation. AWS iterates rapidly and delivers new features and new services continuously. Your team will support each of these releases with new and updated documentation at http://aws.amazon.com/documentation.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced documentation manager with a technical background that enables her or him to interact easily with software engineers, UX engineers and technical program managers; outstanding people management skills to hire and develop the best and a demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality technical content.
• Lead and develop a team of technical and programming writers
• Drive the strategy and documentation planning with engineering, marketing and business development teams
• Produce high-quality documentation for a variety of AWS services
• Identify opportunities to improve content quality and writer efficiency
• Drive customer-focused improvements
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider-from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases-to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's degree in English, Technical Writing, or Computer Science
• At least 5 years of technical writing experience
• At least 5 years in a people management role
• Experience using XML writing and publishing tools
• Experience with cloud computing, web services, IaaS, PaaS, or related areas
• Experience writing technical content for IT-Ops and Dev-Ops customers
• Working knowledge of one or more programming language (Python, Java, C#, Node.js, or C/C++)
• Experience working with agile project management methodologies
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
• Experience working in an agile programming environment with Git or GitHub a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top