Senior Database Engineer
- Austin, TX
There was a time when asked "where should I store my data", the answer was always, "a relational database! Of course!" And it was a good answer... at the time. Well, not anymore, not always. Sure, relational databases are still very useful but we also have, non-relational databases, key-value stores, flat file stores, graph databases, and more. If you want to help Enterprises of all shapes and sizes move data into and around the various data stores available in AWS... we should talk! Are you also interested in streaming technologies such as Kafka or Kinesis Data Streams? Great!
We are looking for talented database engineers that are passionate about data, replication, and data stores of all kinds. Do you have experience in some or all of: SQL Server, MongoDB, Cassandra, Netezza, PostgreSQL, Teradata? Perhaps you have a bit of development experience? Say, C# or Java? If you do, and you're looking for a position loaded with multiple technologies and interesting challenges, you may have found what you're looking for.
We are the Database Migration Service Database Engineering Team. We are passionate about helping customers move data into and around the AWS ecosystem. If you'd like to come join us, here are some items you'll need in your toolbox:
• A forward-looking attitude that keeps you aware of the latest in database and replication technologies.
• A penchant for digging deep and attacking difficult and complex problems.
• A curious nature that compels you to find creative approaches to problems where a solution seems elusive.
• A sense of ownership that drives quality in everything you do.
• A deep respect for our customers and their security requirements to keep their data safe.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working with developers to refine and design tools migration and replication tools used by our customers.
• Testing our tools to improve quality, performance, and scalability.
• Helping customers leverage our tools for moving data into and around the AWS ecosystem.
• Working with customer to solve complex migration and replication problems.
• Gathering feedback to drive improvements in the quality and functionality of our tools.
• Working with AWS Services: DMS, SCT, RDS, Aurora, Redshift, S3, Kinesis, EC2, MSK
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
• 8+ years as a DBA, Database Engineer, or similar role is required
• Experience with a relational database other than Oracle
• Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• A deep understanding of data replication with experience in at least one replication technology
• A general knowledge of the various types data stores: relational, data warehouse, file stores etc.
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Experience coding in PL-SQL, T-SQL, or similar
• Knowledge of AWS database migration software and technologies (DMS, SCT)
• Experience with software development methodologies and programming languages such as Java or C#
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence others internally and externally
• Deep knowledge of either Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, DB2, Cassandra
• Understanding of the Enterprise services space, particularly database and analytics
• Experience influencing product development and working development teams
• Ability to deliver initiatives from conception through completion.
• Excellent speaking-listening-writing skills, attention to details, proactive self-starter
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize workloads
• Ability to develop new ideas and creative solutions
• Experience in consulting and resolving database issues to minimize business impact.
• Experience migrating databases from on-prem to cloud or running in a hybrid cloud environment
Back to top