Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer 'yes' to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers' experiences in ways we can't even image yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics, and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling, and fun.
As a Senior Data Scientist on the Robotic Movement team, you will work closely with other scientists and engineers to put innovative ideas into practice. You will design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve the performance of a fleet of 400,000 mobile robots. You will partner with technology and product leaders to turn data into decisions that expand the fleet's capabilities to handle new applications. Our scientists also work on cross-disciplinary efforts with other scientists within Amazon. See highlights of our innovative work at www.amazon.science.
A successful candidate will be a person who enjoys diving deep into data, doing analysis, discovering root causes, and designing long-term solutions. It will be a person who can select and use the right machine learning and statistical tools to bring clarity to complex questions and help drive decisions. While we don't assume mastery in all areas, successful team members can speak and work competently in multiple domains.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
• Understand drivers, impacts, and key influences on robotic automation dynamics
• Drive actions at scale to improve the efficiency, reliability and predictability of robotic automation solutions using scientifically-based methods and decision making
• Help build production systems that take inputs from multiple models and make decisions in real time
• Automate feedback loops for algorithms in production
• Utilize Amazon systems, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and other analytical tools to effectively work with petabytes of data
• Play a significant role in developing others
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn't about which hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we'll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
• B.S./M.S./Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Data Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics or a related quantitative field. M.S degree and 4+ years of relevant experience or Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of relevant experience.
• 3+ years of experience with data querying languages (e.g., SQL), statistical/mathematical software (e.g., R, SAS, Matlab), and/or scripting languages (e.g., Python)
• Experience in creating data-driven visualizations to describe an end-to-end system
• Highly skilled in statistical methods, simulation and modeling applied to real-world problems
• Understanding of general practices and capabilities in machine learning and its application to real world situations
• Experience with robotics, control system optimization, or large-scale, distributed systems
• Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.