Senior Data Scientist
- Palo Alto, CA
Amazon.com strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
We need an expert in econometric and statistical tools to extract insights at scale by building models with our world class data systems, designing advanced new experimental methods, and investigating complex behavioral patterns.
Amazon Search creates powerful, customer-focused product search solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, our systems go to work. Our Search Engine team designs, builds, and delivers high performance, fault-tolerant, scalable distributed search engine used by millions of Amazon customers every day.
We are looking for a highly motivated Data Scientist who can help ensure our experience on Amazon Search is creating long-term value for our customers. This person will be responsible for architecting insights and systems to anticipate which features will improve customer's search experience. This person will also be responsible for designing experiments and devising frameworks that measure the short-term and long-term impact of our product initiatives. Finally, this person would also derive insights using our existing data and experiments to inform new innovation and direction for Search Technologies and internal partner teams.
The ideal candidate will be an expert in the areas of data science, machine learning and statistics, having hands-on experience with multiple improvement initiatives as well as balancing technical and business judgment to make the right decisions about technology, models and methodologies. You will leverage data, experimental design, and analytics to help define new ways to evaluate, visualize and predict to understand outcome and decisions on how to improve customer engagement across customer lifecycle segments. The candidate needs experience with data science / business intelligence, analytics, and reporting systems while striving for simplicity, and demonstrating significant creativity and high judgment backed by statistical proof.
The ideal candidate should have deep expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large datasets. You should have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions, and use appropriate statistical and econometric techniques to derive insights and recommendations to leadership. You should excel at bringing large datasets together to answer business questions and drive change.
Responsibilities Scientists at Amazon are expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. Major responsibilities include:
Measure / Quantify / Expand
• Design, size, and analyze field experiments at scale.
• Apply econometric or statistical knowledge to improve Amazon Search (using machine learning techniques is a plus)
• Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or improving system performance.
• Analyze historical data to identify trends and support decision making.
Explore / Enlighten
• Formalize assumptions about how Amazon Search is expected to work.
• Given anomalies, whether anecdotal or identified automatically, deep dive to explain why they happen, and identify fixes.
Decide / Recommend
• Build decision-making models and propose solution for the business problem you defined
• Implement models based on findings in production back end systems
• Analyze A/B tests and recommend ways to making them faster and more robust
• Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
• Utilize code (python or another object oriented language) for data analyzing and modeling algorithm
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Economics
• 4+ years' of experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python, R), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.)
• 2+ years of relevant working experience in an analytical role involving data extraction, analysis, and communication
• A natural curiosity and desire to learn
• Experience articulating business questions and using quantitative techniques to arrive at a solution using available data
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams, and business audiences
• Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
• Experience with data visualization and presentation, turning complex analysis into insight
• Experience collaborating with software development teams, data scientists, business intelligence or other technical roles
• Masters or PhD in applied quantitative field
• Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
• Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (Millions to Billions of rows) of data
• Experience designing experiments, and ability to infer causal relationships
Back to top