Senior Data Scientist
- San Diego, CA
Amazon Science gives you insight into the company's approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It's the company's ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information.
Amazon's Buyer Abuse team is seeking a senior research scientist to join it's team. The team's goal is to protect all of Amazon's businesses and services from fraud and abuse. We build systems and programs using state-of-the-art technologies to detect and neutralize bad actors that attempt to abuse our policies. Important to the success of Buyer Abuse is to continuously develop science of detecting and preventing various types of buyer abuse and deliver actionable business insights and scalable science solutions to optimize our strategies for abuse prevention and provide customers the world's best customer experience at the same time.
As a Data Scientist on the team you'll be working with a talented team to help understand and guide the business. The successful candidate is expected to have solid experience in working with large volume of data and be able to turn data into business insights using a variety of tools. He or she will play a significant role from conceptualizing science questions, developing new models, prototyping, to implementation by working closely with colleagues in engineering, product management, operations, and finance. Good verbal and written communication skills are essential. The ideal candidate must be comfortable at dealing with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced environment.
• You will successfully deliver large or critical solutions to complex problems in the support of medium-to-large business goals on a global scale. Your work will deliver significant benefit to the business. As part of new initiatives, you will be responsible for building new models from scratch
• Guide the technical approach for the design and implementation of successful models and algorithms in support of expert cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects
• Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• 5+ years of experience managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, and/or Economists
• Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
• Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
• Successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
• Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
• Experience in e-commerce / on-line companies in fraud / risk control functions
• Prior well-established recognized academic experience, multiple publications in top-tier academic journals
• Depth, breadth, and familiarity with Machine Learning, Forecasting, Optimization, Causal Analysis, Time Series Analysis and/or Clustering and Predictive Modeling techniques.
• Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
• Experience in statistical techniques such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering and experimental design etc.
• Compelling communication and influencing skills and participation in winning the support of management and influence the course of major strategic decision.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top