Senior Data Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Amazon Advertising operates at the intersection of eCommerce and advertising, offering a rich array of digital display advertising solutions with the goal of helping our customers find and discover anything they want to buy. We help advertisers reach Amazon customers on Amazon.com, across our other owned and operated sites, on other high quality sites across the web, and on millions of Kindles, tablets, and mobile devices. We start with the customer and work backwards in everything we do, including advertising. If you're interested in joining a rapidly growing team working to build a unique, world-class advertising group with a relentless focus on the customer, you've come to the right place.
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Analytics team, you'll have huge impact on how customers, even friends and family, engage with Amazon through building infrastructure to answer questions with data, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, and recent advances in distributed systems (i.e. MapReduce, NoSQL databases). You will work with passionate scientists, business intelligence engineers, software development engineers and product managers, to deliver a variety of stable and performant data feeds used for developing business insights as well as offline machine learning use cases.
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You are a technical leader for your team and a great mentor. You provide perspective and context for technology choices. You're up to the challenge of real-time notification strategies, latency, TPS, mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and building an end-to-end platform that internal Amazon teams integrate with. You motivate your team to pursue ambiguous situations and rapidly produce prototypes for a more personalized experience. You outline paths from prototype to product. You deeply invest in each colleague's career growth, improving their technical knowledge, and defining your team's operational metrics.
• Contribute to the architecture, design and implementation of next generation BI solutions.
• Manage AWS resources including EC2, RDS, Redshift, Kinesis, EMR, Lambda etc.
• Collaborate with data scientists, BIEs and BAs to deliver high quality data architecture and pipelines.
• Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources.
• Make large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable by implementing advanced BI dashboards and applications.
• Own the design, development, and maintenance of metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
• Provide clear communication for recommended actions.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline
• 5+ years of industry experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
• Proficient in R, Python or any other scripting language for statistical computing.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize workload and roadmaps
• Self-driven with ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete or unstructured data.
• Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark, EMR, etc.)
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
• Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
• Hands-on experience and advanced knowledge of SQL
• Basic knowledge of UNIX shell scripting
• 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, BI Engineer, Business/Financial Analyst or Systems Analyst in a company with large, complex data sources.
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
• Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Kinesis and Lambda for serverless ETL)
• Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
• Experience using business intelligence reporting tools (Quicksight, Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, etc.)
• Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Mindset and analytical skills to towards continuous improvement and have an edge to always research on latest technologies
• Passion for building great notification experiences which directly impacts our customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top