Senior Creature Artist
At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games. We believe in ground-breaking games that can redefine the boundaries of player experience and change the way the world sees digital entertainment. Games have the power to connect people at a massive scale, and creating these experiences will help us produce some of the future's most influential visual experiences. We seek the best game developers in the world to join our team and become the architects of this vision. Join us, and you'll have the power of Twitch, AWS, and the entire Amazon ecosystem to shape the future of games.
Amazon Game Studios in San Diego is looking for an Artist who is exceptionally skilled at creature creation with a focus on digital sculpting and surfacing. In this role, you will create a wide variety of creatures that will breathe life into the worlds we are developing. A solid understanding of human and animal muscular and skeletal anatomy with a basic understanding of motion is required. The ideal candidate will be able to go from a 2D design to the final production model ready for rigging and animation. In this role you will be working closely with a seasoned team of game developers where you can push the boundaries of your artistic abilities.
- Create high quality creature models and surfaces to game engine specifications.
- Produce creature roughs and refined topologies for gameplay and animation requirements.
- Interpret briefs and analyze real world animals in order to create believable and relatable creatures.
- Define realistic and stylized creatures while working closely with concept, animation, and art leadership.
- Leverage traditional art and anatomy skills in order to define features and details on any given character or creature design.
- Work closely with animation team to help develop a creature's look and motion.
- Drive the project's visual standards by creating assets that inspire internal and external artists.
- Optimize models, materials, and textures to maximize performance on target platform.
- Utilize material and texture tools to surface approved sculpts.
- Help to plan, organize, and estimate creature deliverables.
- Expert skills and experience using related character\creature creation tools and software packages.
- Consistent follow through on creature projects from concept to final quality in game assets.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently on a given creature design or detail.
- Advanced creature modeling and sculpting skills in a major commercial software package.
- Creature\character experience and expertise in material, texture painting, and surfacing.
- Solid grasp of physically based rendering (PBR) techniques in games and how they relate to the development of creature surfaces.
- 3 or more titles shipped on a high end console, PC, or cinematic as a Senior Artist or Lead Character Artist focusing on characters or creatures.
- Proven experience sculpting a variety of simple and complex forms intended for motion.
- Solid understanding of basic skin weighting/binding, joint creation, and motion.
- Portfolio demonstrating a wide variety of character and creature development.
- A passion for creating and developing best in class creatures and creature related elements.
- Stays up to date with trends, software, and technology related to the creation of complex characters
- Proven experience in workflows, software, and techniques related to the creation of clothing, fur, hair, muscle and skin
- Strong foundational skills including anatomy, design, and color theory
- Ability to clearly articulate, demo and present creature related topics to small and large groups
- Must have the ability to professionally take and give constructive criticism
- Ability to efficiently describe and document improvement requests for new tools, pipelines, and processes
- Maintain a high level of quality while working with multiple teams that have timelines and dependencies
- Degree in related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top