As a Data Center Senior Construction Manager you will be a part of a creative, diverse team tasked with solving fascinating problems constructing Amazon Data Centers. Our data centers are industry-leading examples of energy efficient, cost-effective designs. You will work alongside partner teams such as Operations, Networking, Controls, Security, and Commissioning to build Data Centers that directly support our Customers.
As our Data Center Senior Construction Manager, you will build some of the most interesting electrical and mechanical systems in the world. You will be on the construction site daily interacting with the construction trades, as Amazon's owner's representative and be directly responsible for driving cost, schedule, and quality while managing construction vendors and contractors building data centers.
At Amazon, we are all Owners and leverage unique opportunities presented to us by owning everything from the design review to construction bidding to construction execution and final hand-off to our customers. We are a diverse, upbeat, creative, team of engineers and managers working on a daily basis to develop innovative data centers for our Customers.
The Data Center Senior Construction Manager will be responsible for construction project management and oversight of construction related activities as they relate to new builds or general capital projects which includes the ownership of the project scope, quality, schedule, and budget. Some of the typical daily tasks of the Construction Manager:
- Direct interface with construction general contractors during the bidding, award, execution, and project closeout/punch list phases.
- Conduct negotiations with general contractors and evaluate bids/proposals with detail and accuracy.
- Create construction project scope and request for proposals.
- Financial analysis of construction.
- Construction project management for specific initiatives aimed at increasing the resiliency of our data centers.
- Constructability reviews of electrical and mechanical designs associated with the construction of new data centers or optimization of existing data centers.
- Construction document management including submittal review, RFI's, change orders, and invoicing.
- Construction project quality control.
- Record and report key construction metrics to team members and management.
- Drive teams to perform troubleshooting and root-cause failure analysis associated with equipment failures.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data center.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Management or an equivalent engineering science OR 4+ years of related construction management experience in lieu of a degree.
- 7+ years of experience in construction management of large, complex projects involving large-scale mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) plants.
- 5+ years of experience in technical management and completion of electrical construction including installing and commissioning switchgear, power distribution, generators, and uninteruptible power systems (UPS).
- 5+ years of experience in technical management and completion of mechanical construction including installing and commissioning cooling systems such as chillers, evaporative cooling, and exhaust/fan systems.
- 4+ years of general contractor and vendor management experience (request for proposals, bidding, change orders, quality control, RFI/submittal tracking) associated with construction and project execution.
- Understand electrical engineering principles including switch gear, UPS, transformers, and circuit breakers. Understand mechanical engineering principles for cooling systems.
- Experience directly related to the design or construction of data centers/critical infrastructure or large scale mechanical and electrical plants.
- Possess clear written and verbal communication skills and ability to use data to justify conclusions.
- Value engineering: proven ability to reduce costs through creative solutions with no impact on quality and reliability (new designs, technology, or construction methods).
- Able to read and interpret construction specifications and drawings for all disciplines.
- Define data center system-level architecture, specify/document performance and equipment requirements, create/communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
- Experience in controls and commissioning of large scale projects.
- Experience with power management and power monitoring systems.
- Certifications such as Professional Engineer (PE), LEED, and/or Certified Construction Manager (CCM).
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role