Amazon's Public Relations (PR) team is seeking a highly intelligent, self-motivated, well-connected, and creative public relations professional who is passionate about books, authors and publishing to join our consumer communications team in London. The consumer PR team develops and manages communications for Amazon's retail businesses across EMEA and for Amazon Prime, delivering events such as Prime Day, Black Friday, product and service launches, events and more. The team are responsible for delivering high-impact consumer PR campaigns and events, managing the Amazon consumer social media channels, and delivering international influencer campaigns.
This role will be responsible for managing proactive and reactive media relations in the UK, and involves working with our teams across Europe and in the US to support Amazon's books business, Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and Amazon Publishing. The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in consumer and corporate communications and media relations, as well as experience in the publishing industry; an understanding of using social media and paid channels is also preferred. They should be a self-starter, strategic thinker and enjoy working in a fast paced, start-up culture, while demonstrating a passion for literature, arts and culture.
They will be responsible for building and executing a strategic communications plan to support Amazon's KDP and Amazon Publishing businesses, telling stories through earned and owned media about authors, and helping manage communications issues related to the Amazon books businesses. This will require creativity, high-judgement, bias for action, strong ownership, the ability to multitask, and a willingness to earn trust, innovate and deliver results.
The Sr. Communications Manager will work directly with the books, KDP and publishing business teams, authors, and the global books and publishing PR teams. They will manage agencies and freelancers for publicity work, and will need to successfully manage multiple priorities and stakeholders at the same time.
The role is based in London and will require periodic travel.
• Build strategic communications campaigns that drive proactive coverage for authors and Amazon's UK publishing and books programs, incorporating owned channels and paid partnerships as appropriate
• Act as the communications business partner to several Amazon leadership teams
• Prioritise and manage reactive responses for incoming media enquiries
• Work closely with counterparts and others on the Consumer and Corporate Communications teams across Europe and the US, helping develop campaigns elsewhere in Europe as required
• Collaborate with Consumer and Corporate Communications teams to ensure Books PR activity supports broader communications goals
• Write news releases, pitch and secure tier one media opportunities
• Build excellent relationships with key media stakeholders
• Manage external PR agencies and freelancers and collaborate closely with editorial, marketing and promotional teams in order to drive successful title launches and build author and brand awareness
• Organise participation at international book festivals
• Collaborate with internal stakeholder teams in order to drive successful program launches
• Deliver strategic communications counsel to internal executives on both short and long-term challenges and opportunities
• Bachelors degree
• Extensive communications experience, particularly in corporate and consumer communications
• Experience creating long-term, comprehensive communications campaigns that include both earned and owned media to reach multiple audiences
• Book industry or publishing experience