Senior Cloud Support Engineer (Big Data)
- Cape Town, South Africa
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team, you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the 'Cloud Ambassador' across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
How often have you had an opportunity to be a founding member of a team solving significant customer problems through innovative technology? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge and business acumen? Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
If you fit the description, you might be the person we are looking for! We are a group of smart people, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
• Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
• Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers' individual needs.
• Interact with leading engineers around the world.
• Work directly with Amazon Web Services architects to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
• Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
• Drive customer communication during critical events.
• Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers' technical support experience.
• Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
• Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
• On a typical day, a Senior Support Engineer might work with teams to provide strategic technical support and opportunities to our customers, consult with a diverse range of engineers at Amazon and invent/develop radical new approaches to automate operational issues, act as a subject matter expert to drive large scale architecture and/or engineering efforts that solve significantly complex or endemic problems, identify gaps/opportunities within or between regions, architecture and organizations to satisfy customer needs.
• Our Engineers are also the "voice of the customer" and have a strong voice into the development teams for recurring issues or feature requests.
• Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
• Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
• Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
• We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven't been exposed to yet.
• Travel the world: Strong support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
• Find out more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2nv6lBK2o
• As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, working hours and days are based on customer demand and may include weekends.
• Meet Kameliya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdaVZlkwb0
• Meet Alexandre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRGY196sjY
• Meet Theodoros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTPWdseB_pg
• Meet Robert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uXCchOTdMM
The Big Data role supports our services that leverage data and produce business insights, which may include using Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence (ML/AI). Helping our customers use and integrate Big Data services in what is arguably our industry's most exciting space. The portfolio of services covers EMR (Hadoop), DynamoDB (NoSQL), ElasticSearch, Kinesis, Athena, ML/AI & more.
To qualify for this role, you should have the following experience:
• 7+ experience in Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Hive, and Presto.
• 7+years of experience in DynamoDB or NoSQL technologies like MongoDB or Cassandra.
• Experience running and troubleshooting various types of machine learning (supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning) and deep learning frameworks (tensorflow, mxnet) issues.
• Foundation knowledge of databases and Structured Query Language (SQL).
• Demonstrable knowledge and experience in various Big Data or distributed systems. Such as Hadoop, NoSQL, Search and Streaming.
• Demonstrated ability in Data Lake architecture and administration.
• Experience utilising data analysis techniques such as quantitative or qualitative analysis
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment. Lead technical discussions on big data systems architecture and design.
These qualifications are optional, but please highlight them on your resume if you have them:
• Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications.
• Knowledge of AWS and Computing concepts (preferred experience with AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS CloudFormation or AWS OpsWorks).
• Good understanding of security best practices.
• Good understanding of distributed computing environments and methodologies.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity and Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Back to top