Senior Backbone Network Developer, EMEA
Today, Amazon provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. The Amazon Cloud infrastructure is built around Regions and Availability Zones (AZs). Amazon Regions provide multiple, physically separated and isolated Availability Zones which are connected with low latency, high throughput, and highly redundant networking. These Availability Zones offer our customers an easier and more effective way to design and operate applications and databases, making them more highly available, fault tolerant, and scalable than traditional single datacenter infrastructures or multi-datacenter infrastructures. How would you like to come be part of the team that builds out that low latency, high throughput, and highly redundant network?
We are looking for a highly motivated, commercial and technically savvy Backbone Network Developer to help develop and scale one of the world's largest and most complex networks. We develop new and innovative ways to scale and expand our network, whilst delivering operational excellence to our stakeholders. This opportunity sits within our Backbone Network Development organization where the team is responsible for planning, developing and acquiring the network that drive Amazon's internal infrastructure as well as connecting Amazon to the rest of the world. The Backbone Network Developer will be a subject matter expert in the telecommunications marketplace, experienced with vendors, physical network infrastructure, optical technologies and backbone network engineering. This role requires collaboration, driving strategic initiatives and synthesizing a supplier strategy across the Amazon network topology. This individual will actively drive commercial and technical vendor network strategy within EMEA, working with suppliers, technology partners, as well as the service teams to meet our customer's demands. By applying a unique blend of industry and technology experience, you will work closely with both outside parties and internal teams to find creative, cost effective, and often unusual solutions to meet Amazon's ongoing growth and expansion needs worldwide.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Serve as a key member of the EMEAI Backbone Network Development team helping to drive overall Network Infrastructure strategy.
• Identify suppliers and develop technical and commercial solutions that solve for wavelengths, dark fibre and submarine cable capacity.
• Develop strategic backbone network plans for approval by internal customers and stakeholders and provide regular progress updates on approved network plans.
• Organize, track, and coordinate with vendors and internal teams to deliver new backbone capacity for Amazon.
• Work with capacity planners and engineers to ensure the most efficient and cost effective network topology is delivered
• Work closely with finance partners, collaborating on budget creation, business case development, deal analysis, and supplier invoicing.
• Track overall telecoms market trends and developments in terms of vendor technologies, coverage, cost and deal structures.
• A Bachelor's Degree in an IT, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Candidates should have a minimum of 10-years telecommunications industry experience in a similar environment.
• Candidates must have direct commercial and technical experience working in a company owning or operating long haul dark fiber networks and DWDM systems.
• European experience
• Candidates should be able to demonstrate where they have influenced the design, development, contracting, implementation, and operation of long haul backbone networks.
• Extensive knowledge of IP peering ecosystems, fiber optic networks, submarine cables and the interconnection of these networks in order to obtain the highest availability for delivering online services globally.
• Ability to create complex financial models to understand business impacts of various network solutions is required.
• Demonstrated ability to formulate data driven decisions that lead to results.
• Sound business judgment, proven ability to influence others, and strong analytical thinking skills are critical to success in this position.
• Willing to travel.
• Experience working at a large network operator, OTT or Internet Service Provider.
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer requirements and build strategic plans.
• Experience interacting with senior executives and other management within your own company and externally; and working across commercial, technical, domestic, and international arms of an organization
• In-depth knowledge of the latest optical communications developments.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP, OSPF, MPLS, RSVP and ISIS.
• Ability to speak multiple languages.
Back to top