Senior Applied Scientist - Sponsored Products Search
- New York, NY
Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses. As a core product offering within our advertising portfolio, Sponsored Products (SP) helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The SP team's primary goals are to help shoppers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth.
We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks and break fresh ground in product and technical innovations every day. We optimize ad placements to match advertiser demand with publisher supply using a combination of machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing (NLP), query reformulations, big data analytics, and low latency, high-volume systems. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving, with entrepreneurial drive and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
The Sponsored Sourcing Delivery team owns Ads Searching, Selection and Ads matching systems that involve efficient information retrieval (IR) Search algorithms, query reformulations, Natural language processing, deep-learning algorithms to enable a superior shopper experience and render highly relevant products for shopper's mission. As Applied Science Manager responsible for Sponsored Sourcing Delivery team you will take ownership of the technical roadmap and delivery of real-time, scalable machine learning models influencing ad selection, relevance and ranking models. You will enable applied scientists to experiment and innovate quickly with a diverse set of models, features and techniques in a high-volume, low-latency environment. The Sponsored search solutions play a key role in the Amazon's ad serving workflow (selection, ranking and auction) and operate under highly optimized settings viz. scanning billions of documents within milliseconds budget and ensuring high relevance. So the level of quality and reliability are critically important. You'll raise the bar on software delivery, researching and innovating new matching algorithms and solution quality by investing in Sponsored Products Search features, key initiatives, and technical improvements to optimize for business impact and long-term sustainability.
• Build machine learning models and utilize data analysis to deliver scalable solutions to business problems.
• Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
• Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis, machine-learning model development, model validation and serving.
• Work closely with software engineers on detailed requirements, technical designs and implementation of end-to-end solutions in production
• Research new machine learning approaches.
Impact and Career Growth:
• You will invent new shopper and advertiser experiences, and accelerate the pace of Machine Learning and Optimization.
• Influence customer facing shopping experiences to helping suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising, this role will be powering the engine of one the fastest growing businesses at Amazon.
• Define a long-term science vision for our ad marketplace, driven fundamentally from the needs of our customers, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams.
Why you love this opportunity:
• Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales.
• Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth.
• We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products.
• We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action.
• With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Team video ~ https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• 3+ years of industry experience as a Science leader.
• Proven track record of hiring and leading high-performing science teams and managing cross-functional projects.
• Ability to lead the design of large-scale machine learning systems and reason about the challenges and trade-offs.
• Experience in owning and operating business-critical applications and services, and the ability to manage operational health in terms of relevant KPIs and mechanisms for improvement
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives, and excel in a fast paced environment
• Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models for search advertising, product search, online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top