Senior Applied Scientist, Prime Video 2D-3D video understanding and scalable visual effects
- Seattle, WA
How often have you had an opportunity to be a founding member of a team solving significant customer problems through innovative AI technology at Amazon scale? We are looking for passionate, hard-working, and talented individuals to join our fast paced, start-up environment to help invent the future and define the next generation of how customers watch videos. We are disrupting a 100-years old industry through cloud services (AWS), 2D/3D computer vision, generative adversarial networks, scalable visual effects (VFX), and machine learning.
Prime Video is disrupting traditional media with an ever-increasing selection of movies, TV shows, Emmy Award-winning original content, add-on subscriptions including HBO and Showtime, and live events like Thursday Night Football and Major League Baseball. We are a premier provider of digital entertainment worldwide and we continue to grow very quickly! We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help continue to deliver on our ambitious goals.
We are building a new team to automatically "understand not just tag" the video content on a scene and a frame level by understanding the setting, objects, actions, and themes depicted in a scene. We are driving visual effects automation and exceptional customer experience using machine learning, 2D/3D computer vision, audio processing, and natural language understanding. Automation of video understanding at scale is our mission and passion. We need to solve problems across many cultures and languages. We have a huge amount of human-labelled data, and operation team to generate labels across many languages. Our team innovates, with many novel patents, inventions, and internal/external papers in the motion picture and television industry. We are highly motivated to extend the state of the art.
As a senior applied scientist, you will apply your knowledge of deep learning to concrete problems that have broad cross-organizational, global, and technology impact. Your work will focus on training and evaluating models and deploying them to production where we continuously monitor and evaluate. You will work on large engineering efforts that solve significantly complex problems facing global customers. You will be trusted to operate with independence and are often assigned to focus on areas with significant impact on audience satisfaction. You must be equally comfortable digging in to customer requirements as you are drilling into design with development teams and developing production ready learning models. You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions. This is a greenfield with no "off-the-shelf algorithms" that can perform the job. We experiment a lot and it is a must to learn and be curios. We embrace the challenges of a fast paced market and evolving technologies, paving the way to universal availability of content. You will be encouraged to see the big picture, be innovative, and positively impact millions of customers. This is a young and evolving business where creativity and drive will have a lasting impact on the way video is enjoyed worldwide.
You'll work with experienced managers who'll care for you. We'll guide you on your career growth path and there's no shortage of technical challenges.
You will work with internal and external stakeholders, cross-functional partners, and end-users around the world at all levels. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. You are empowered to bring new technologies and deep learning approaches to your solutions.
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
• Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art machine learning technologies
• 3+ industry experience in Deep learning in computer vision, speech processing/synthesis, or natural language processing\understanding
• Strong algorithm development experience
• Skills with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
• 10+ years of relevant experience in industry and/or academia.
• Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals in one of those areas ( computer vision, image processing, or natural language processing\understanding, deep learning)
• Proven track record of innovation in creating novel algorithms and advancing the state of the art
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top