Machine Learning (ML) has been strategic to Amazon from the early years. We are pioneers in areas such as recommendation engines, product search, eCommerce fraud detection, and large-scale optimization of fulfillment center operations.
The Amazon ML Solutions Lab team helps AWS customers accelerate the use of machine learning to solve business and operational challenges and promote innovation in their organization. We are looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive Applied Scientist with a strong machine learning background to help develop solutions by pushing the envelope in Time Series, Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning (ML) and Computer Vision (CV).
As a ML Solutions Lab Applied Scientist, you will be working with terabytes of text, images, and other types of data and develop novel models to solve real-world problems. You'll design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways of optimizing risk, profitability, and customer experience. You will apply classical ML algorithms and cutting-edge Deep Learning (DL) and reinforcement learning approaches to areas such as drug discovery, customer segmentation, fraud prevention, capacity planning, predictive maintenance, pricing optimization, call center analytics, player pose estimation, event detection, and virtual assistant among others.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
• Design, develop, and evaluate innovative ML/DL models to solve diverse challenges and opportunities across industries
• Interact with customers directly to understand their business problems, and help them with defining and implementing scalable ML/DL solutions to solve them
• Work closely with account teams, research scientist teams, and product engineering teams to drive model implementations and new algorithms
• Keep up to date with the latest developments in Machine Learning and apply these to address our customer's business problems
This team will be comprised of Deep Learning Architects and Applied Scientists to create cutting edge solutions for clients across EMEA, and will require travel up to 40% of the time. We are currently recruiting for talented individuals in the following cities: London and Berlin. Discover more at https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/amazonai.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We Hire and Develop the best so you can expect support in advancing your career ambitions and projects which will help you grow and develop your skills.
• Masters degree (or European advanced degree equivalent) or PhD in Computer Science, or related technical, math, or scientific field
• Several years of relevant experience in building large scale machine learning or deep learning models and/or systems in a production environment
• Experience in using Python, R or Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software language
• 1+ year experience specifically with deep learning (e.g., CNN, RNN, LSTM, etc.)
• Experience hiring or mentoring more junior colleagues
• Ability to travel ~40%
• PhD degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related technical/scientific field
• Hands on experience building models with deep learning frameworks like MXNet, Tensorflow, Keras, Caffe, PyTorch, or similar
• Experience with machine learning, time series, NLP and CV solutions
• Proven communication skills, presentation skills, and attention to detail
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
• Fluency with other European languages are a plus
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. This will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a relevant criminal check.