Senior Applied Scientist - Mathematical Optimization
- Gdańsk, Poland
Come and join the Database Migration Accelerator team that helps our customers migrate to the cloud. We are on a mission to transform legacy enterprise workloads into modern AWS native application architectures. We achieve this by utilizing cutting edge tools, sophisticated engineering systems and database expertise. We provide fixed price and high speed migrations to the cloud. Database Migration Accelerator is combining various AWS cloud platform services into one product which would serve our customers.
We are a team of professionals that are forward-looking and using latest technology offerings (AWS cloud services, Machine Learning, Mathematical Optimization, Relational and NoSQL databases) to build new capability to operationalize and automate migration methodologies. Databases Services at AWS cover a range of data platforms including Amazon Aurora, DynamoDB, Redshift, Athena, as well as AWS Database Migration Service, Data Pipeline, Glue and more. As each service grows, so does adoption by customers world-wide.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Applied Scientist who is passionate about mathematical optimization with developing new offering for the cloud and is enthusiastic about applying bold new ideas to real-world problems.
Joining the AWS Database Services team as a Senior Applied Scientist gives you the opportunity to:
• Work for a company that's at the forefront of the cloud computing space
• Be a part of something unique what no other previously developed and was successful.
• Design mathematical optimization algorithms to intelligently move enterprises to the cloud.
• Truly own solution from concept design through development to production
• Join the team whose activities are regularly called out publicly by AWS CEO Andy Jassy
Our team places value on work-life balance. Our team is global, based in the US and Poland. Our Poland teams typically start later in the day to have a couple of hours of overlap with US teams.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members in an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers mentor more junior engineers through one-on-one mentoring and collaborative code reviews. Projects and tasks are assigned in a way that leverages your strengths and helps you further develop your skillset.
Inclusive Team Culture
We get to build a really cool service and the main contributing factor to our success is the inclusive and welcoming culture that we embody every day.
We welcome teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to collaborate with a diverse team of peers.
As a Senior Applied Scientist, your responsibilities will include:
• Build new cloud based mathematical solutions and algorithms to accelerate migrations to the cloud
• Participate in algorithms experimentation and deliver the results in the form of new products
• Develop scalable optimization algorithms for moving customer workloads to cloud environments. Create technical strategies and deliver with limited guidance
• Creating technical strategies and delivering with limited guidance
• Solving difficult and complex software problems. Your solutions should be extensible
• Cross-collaborating with a number of different teams with overlapping work, including solutions architects, developers, product managers, senior leaders, and many more
• Mentoring more junior members of the team or collaboration partners
• PhD or MSc degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a related quantitative field
• Extensive years of experience in mathematics and statistics
• Proven experience coding in related mathematical languages (i.e. R, Python, Matlab or similar)
• Experience utilizing statistics and optimization systems
• Superior analytical and quantitative skills; experience in data collection, model building, testing and validation
• Proficiency in software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with peers, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements & describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Proven experience in mentoring junior colleagues and/or contributing as a leader by interviewing, managing a team or similar
• Experience in AWS or other cloud technologies
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems
• Knowledge of Oracle, MSSQL and either PostgreSQL or MySQL
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Back to top