Do you want to own research that enables the highly scalable, massive throughput machine translation service at the core of Amazon's product localization? Join the Consumer Localization team as a leader in a group of machine learning scientists and engineers dealing with some of the largest scale problems across Amazon. We create automatically billions of product pages on all Amazon marketplaces enabling many millions of customers worldwide to shop in their native language.
As part of our team you will be pushing the boundary on applied ML in the localization space. You will
• build and drive a research agenda to ensure we can deliver optimal translation quality for product data at a massive scale
• broaden our vision on how we can apply ML technology to further improve all stages of the product localization process
• design, experiment and evaluate innovative models to solve end-to-end business problems with ML, and verify the business impact of your solutions
• research and implement novel machine learning approaches and define how we can apply them in our domain
• mentoring and guiding Machine Learning Scientists and Engineers with regard to strategic research and experimentation best practices
This is a unique opportunity at Amazon with great exposure: All of Amazon's customers worldwide will be your customers. Come join us in our beautiful office in the beating heart of Europe - Berlin.
• PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML, NLP/Computational Linguistics, mathematics/statistics or related field
• 5+ years of experience working in NLP, ML or data science, building and experimenting models for business application
• Solid programming skills, eg. Python + Pandas stack
• Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
• Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
• Experience hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
• Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
• 8+ years of experience working in Machine Translation/NLP in a consumer product company
• Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, NLP, deep learning, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval
• Strong software development skills, track record of turning research ideas into highly scalable implementation
• Demonstrated ability to map ML performance metrics to business outcomes, and define frameworks for tracking ML systems through business KPIs
Amazon Science (www.amazon.science) gives you insight into the company's approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It's the company's ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/internal/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.