Come join Alexa Artificial Intelligence -- the science team behind Amazon's intelligent voice assistant. Alexa AI is hiring an innovative Senior Scientist who is passionate about applying advanced ML and statistical techniques to solve real-world challenges. This role is part of the Alexa AI team, where we research novel machine learning and natural language processing algorithms to deliver customer-facing knowledge services such as question answering at scale. The team runs production services that impact millions of users globally, and researches new methods in question understanding, knowledge extraction, and information enrichment to deliver ground-breaking advances in accuracy and scale.
As a Senior Scientist, you will work in an agile team of scientists and engineers and be involved in every aspect of the development lifecycle, from idea generation and scientific research to development and deployment of advanced models.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced ML technology scientist who has a track-record of taking invention to production. You should have a commitment to working with a diverse team as well as great leadership and communication skills. You are passionate about using scientific research to deliver value to customers and are motivated to deliver results in a fast-paced environment. This position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to Alexa customers. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are technical and innovative, and relish the opportunity to delight customers with pioneering solutions, we want to talk to you.
• Participate in the design, development, evaluation, and deployment of data-driven models and analytical solutions for machine learning (ML) and natural language (NL) applications
• Implement and improve modeling tools, training recipes, and prototypes utilizing programming skills in Python, Java or C++.
• Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into complex Amazon production systems
• Work backwards from customer needs and use that information to make trade-offs between different modeling approaches
• Report results to technical and business audiences in a manner that is statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment
• Research the latest modeling techniques and stay current with advancements in the field
• Drive best practices, helping to set high scientific and engineering standards on the team
• Promote the culture of experimentation and applied science at Amazon
• Mentor junior software engineers, interns, and scientists
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• PhD with specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, or machine learning
• Strong ML background and familiar with standard NLP/NLU techniques and/or recommender systems
• A track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
• Strong publication record
• Strong software development skills
• Expertise in at least one more major programming language (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Python, or similar), and one Deep Learning Framework (MXNet, Tensor Flow, etc.)
• Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age