Senior Applied Scientist
- Bethlehem, PA
Are you seeking an environment where you can drive innovation? Do you want to apply causal inference, advanced statistical modeling and machine learning techniques to solve world's most challenging problem in Supply Chain - procuring inventory? Do you want to play a crucial role in the future of Amazon's Retail business? Do you want to be a part of a journey that develops technology for answering critical business question in Amazon Retail?
Every time an Amazon customer makes a purchase, a number of systems are involved: these systems help optimize inventory acquisition, enable a number of sourcing options, ensure great pricing, store products so they are available for fast delivery, and minimize package frustration. The Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) Group develops and manages these systems. We are central to Amazon customers' ability to find what they want and get it when they want it.
Amazon's Optimal Sourcing Systems (OSS) Strategic Sourcing Analytics (SSA) team is looking for an experienced Sr Applied Scientist to be a part of a team solving some of the very complex inbound sourcing problems using Stats, ML and potentially AI. To accomplish our goals, we build simulation and experimentation systems at scale, build optimization algorithms and leverage cutting-edge technologies across Operations Research, Software Engineering, Machine Learning, Forecasting, and Linear Programming. This is an opportunity to think big about how to optimize the world's most diverse supply chain. You will deliver tens of millions of dollars in savings annually through efficiency improvements to our supply chain.
OSS is part of the Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) - a centralized organization that owns automated systems for demand forecasting, inventory management, sourcing, inbound optimization, Fast Track promise and order fulfillment. The OSS team works with several vendor inputs/constraints and other SCOT systems to execute a sourcing strategy, ultimately translating an optimal plan into real world execution by systematically connecting with suppliers. OSS owns and develops systems to systematically negotiate cost with vendors, determine the right inbound channel, optimize how we purchase inventory from our suppliers, and automate procurement by integrating with Vendor systems. Sourcing team aims to maximize supply availability and optimize for total sourcing cost that impacts both topline and bottom line of Amazon.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Science work, business analytics and have the aptitude to incorporate new approaches and methodologies while dealing with ambiguities in sourcing processes. Excellent business and communication skills are a must to develop and define key business questions and to build data sets that answer those questions. You should be able to work with business customers in understanding the business requirements and implementing reporting solutions.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• PhD degree in machine learning, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics or related field with 5+ year relevant experience
• Strong problem solving and analytical abilities
• Proficiency in statistical software such as R, SAS, STATA, etc.
• At least 2+ years hands on experience programming in Java, C++ or other similar programming language
• Experience with languages such as Python
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment
• Experience with Causal Graphs
• Experience with AB testing framework and case control experiment design
• Experience with multi-armed bandits
• Experience with search and recommender systems
• Experience with discrete choice experimentation
• Experience with observational study design and analysis
• Experience with Amazon Web Services
• Experience with MapReduce concepts and Hadoop / Elastic MapReduce, Spark / Scala
Back to top