As a leader in e-commerce, Amazon is building an authoritative knowledge base for every product in the world. With hundreds of millions of customers and billions of products, Amazon will offer a challenging but fun journey to turn this big and rapidly changing data into high-quality knowledge to impact customer experiences across Amazon.
As a member of the product knowledge team, you will play a key role in the establishment of a new platform, with opportunities to create enormous benefit for our customers and Amazon.
As Senior Applied Scientist, you will be responsible to design and deploy scalable NLP and Computer Vision solutions that will impact the content visible to millions of customer and solve key customer experience issues. You will develop deep learning techniques for text processing, image processing, pattern recognition, and anomaly detection problems. You will define the research and experiments strategy with an iterative execution approach to create the machine learning models and progressively improve the results over time. You will partner with business and engineering teams to identify and solve large and significantly complex problems that require scientific innovation. You will help the team leverage your expertise, by coaching and mentoring. You will contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices. You will independently as well as guide team to file for patents and/or publish research work where opportunities arise. The PG org deals with problems that are directly related to end customers and the ML team drives resolution to organization level problems. Therefore, the AS3 role will impact the large product strategy, identifies new business opportunities and provides strategic direction.
• 5+ years of relevant applied science research experience with PhD or 8+ years of experience of applied research experience with a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or related field with specialization in machine learning, NLP, Computer Vision, deep or related fields.
• Should be an expert in either Computer Vision or NLP and have a good understanding of the both.
• Strong working knowledge of programming languages such as C/C++, Java, or Python (SciPy, RPy2, etc).
• Proven ability to relate to and solve business problems through machine learning, data mining and statistical algorithms
• Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists
• Published and/or presented papers at ACL, ICML, NIPS, KDD, CVPR or similar top-tier conferences and events.
• Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts and algorithms, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
• Post Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or Physics with specialization in ML, NLP or Computer Vision.
• Experience in building ML solutions on NLP like, Named Entity Extraction, Text Classification and Similarity using both Traditional ML and Deep Learning.
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field.
• Solid understanding of machine learning, deep learning algorithms and computational complexity.
• Solid software development experience.
• Strong CS fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.