Senior Applied Scientist
- Sunnyvale, CA
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
"If you do not work on an important problem, it's unlikely you'll do important work." Richard Hamming
We have important problems to solve. There are great, world-changing products that should exist, but do not, because the technology to enable them does not exist. Yet. That's where you come in.
We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting-edge advances in and to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers' experiences in ways we can't even imagine yet. Key responsibilities will be to conduct research and development in algorithms and to collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to define optimal architectural partitioning and put the concepts you develop into production.You will determine where commercially available solution and academic research can be applied to solve Amazon business problems, as well as identify opportunities for innovation. You will use a large amount of data to train and test algorithms to bring them up to production level quality.
If this describes you, come join our team at Lab126 in the heart of Silicon Valley. The team is using machine learning, real-time and distributed systems to convert requirements into concrete deliverables. Comfort with a high degree of ambiguity and ability to solve problems that haven't been solved to scale before are essential.
This role allows you to:
• Research, design, implement and evaluate novel computer vision and machine learning algorithms
• Define optimal architectural partitioning to meet product needs of performance, power consumption, scalability and cost
• Work on large-scale datasets, focusing on creating robust, scalable and accurate systems in versatile application fields
• Collaborate closely with team members on developing systems from prototyping to production level
• Work closely with engineering teams to drive scalable, real-time implementations
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• Proven track record of innovation in creating novel algorithms and advancing the state of the art
• Experience with developing computer vision algorithms for embedded devices
• Experience investigating, designing, prototyping, and delivering new and innovative system solutions
• Linux platform experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
Back to top