Senior Applied Scientist
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about big data and machine learning? Do you enjoy solving complex analytical problems, build predictive analytics models and develop insights and recommendations at web scale? Do you want to make an impact in Amazon's multi-billion-dollar Affiliate marketing business? Amazon's affiliate marketing program, Amazon Associates, spans a large number of websites and blogs worldwide that create compelling original content to help customers make informed purchase decisions for new products and programs (e.g., Prime, Amazon Video, etc.) on Amazon. We are looking for a strong Senior Applied Scientist to work backwards from customers, create models and develop insights, deliver impact, and drive growth of the Associates Program worldwide.
As as Applied Scientist in the Amazon Associates org, you will be working with business stakeholders, product/program managers, developers and executives to deeply understand customer problems and priorities. You will form hypotheses, analyze the corpus of associates and customer data using statistical methods, build predictive models, generate recommendations to address a range of problems across the associates program. These span developing insights on customer and associates engagement trends, building models to inform rates and bounties, defining segmentation for marketing, building customized guidance to optimize associates engagement with customers, developing risk models and reputation scores, etc. Your expertise will enable us to accelerate the grow of the associates business. You will be comfortable with big data systems, intimately familiar with advanced machine learning and statistical methods, and experienced in applying these to solve business problems. You will have a strong bias towards customer obsession and delivering results while dealing with ambiguity in fast-paced dynamic environments.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Work with business teams, product/program managers, engineers and leadership to identify and prioritize customer and business problems
• Translate these problems into specific analytical questions and form hypotheses that can be answered with available data using statistical methods or identify additional data needed in the master datasets to fill any gaps
• Perform hand-on data analyses and modeling with huge datasets to develop insights and recommendations to inform decisions across the program
• Design and run A/B experiments to validate the hypotheses and evaluate the impact of your optimizations and communicate your results to various stakeholders
• Collaborate with engineers and product managers to build scalable solutions and new capabilities
• MS degree + 5 years of experience or a PhD + at least 3 year in CS, CE, ML, or related field
• Current hands on experience using object oriented programming languages such as Python, C, C++ or Java
• Hands-on experience building models and putting the models through production
• Own end-to-end business problems/metrics that directly impact of the company or organization
• PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics or equivalent experience
• Ability to think innovatively and creatively about complex technical and business problems
• Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and driving collaboration across multiple technical and business teams
• Experience working with web-scale data sets and distributed computing tools (e.g., Map Reduce, Hive, Spark)
• Experience with Deep Learning frameworks like MXNet, Caffe 2, Tensorflow, Theano, CNTK and Keras, as well as working with GPUs to develop models
• Experience with AWS technologies like Redshift, S3, EC2, Data Pipeline, EMR, AML, etc.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices across the full software development life cycle
• Publications or presentations in recognized Machine Learning, Deep Learning or Data Mining journals/conferences
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action-Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top