Senior Applied Science Manager, Natural Language Understanding
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Alexa is looking for a Senior Applied Science Manager to lead the development of next generation spoken and visual understanding systems that will revolutionize the revolutionize the way developers build skills and enable customers to achieve complex and high value goals in their everyday use of Alexa. In this role, you will manage teams of passionate, talented, and inventive scientists, to develop industry-leading Computer Vision (CV), Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Dialog Management, and drive them successfully to production for the benefit of millions of Alexa users. Your mission is to push the envelope for CV, NLP and Dialog Management systems in order to provide the industry-leading, best-possible experience for our customers.
As a Senior Applied Science Manager, you will identify research directions, create roadmaps for forward-looking research and communicate them to senior leadership, and work closely with engineering teams to bring research to production. You will work with teams of talented scientists, and fill the ranks by attracting the best scientists in CV, NLP, and Dialog areas, by representing Amazon Alexa at international science conferences. You will work with talented peers and leverage Amazon's heterogeneous data sources and large-scale computing resources.
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics with specialization in specialization in natural language processing, dialog management, natural language generation or machine learning.
• 8+ years of working experience on NLP, Dialog, NLG or machine learning problems and systems in industry and/or academia
• 3+ years of managing experience of scientists
• Knowledge of programming languages such as C/C++, Python, Java or Perl
• PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics with specialization in natural language processing, dialog management, natural language generation or machine learning.
• 3+ years experience and proven track record in leading teams for developing natural language processing or dialog management systems (e.g. commercial CV, speech products or government CV or speech projects)
• Solid Machine Learning background and familiar with state-of-the art in CV, NLP and Dialog management.
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
• Solid software development experience
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top