Want to work on one of the coolest and most innovative pieces of technology in recent years? Amazon Alexa is already revolutionizing how users interact with technology via voice, and you have the opportunity to lead and develop new directions that make Alexa even more intelligent and deliver more utility for users.
This role is part of the Alexa Knowledge team, where we research novel machine learning and natural language processing algorithms to deliver customer-facing knowledge services such as question answering at scale. The team runs production services that impacts millions of users globally, and researches new methods in question understanding, knowledge extraction and natural language generation to deliver ground-breaking advances in accuracy and scale.
We collaborate extensively both within Amazon and external academic partnerships to accelerate deep learning research and invent new methods that go beyond state of the art to bring new innovations to our customers.
To give an idea of our work, recent contributions from the team include the FEVER challenges http://https://fever.ai/, Deep Semantic Parsing https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.11458, and end to end neural data-to-text generation https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.06577.
A successful candidate will have a strong research background, and
be a recognised leader in the field. You'll have experience of taking invention to production and be passionate about using scientific research to deliver value to customers.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing the research team, managers, and engineers, and hiring new talent.
• Owning the strategic research and product roadmap that delivers step-change results at Alexa scale.
• Ensuring the team are publishing high-quality research in top conferences and journals, which are also directly impactful for our customers.
• Managing the day-to-day activities of a combined science and engineering team within an Agile environment, but paying attention to the different timescales of development.
• Building a team culture around technical excellence and strong delivery.
• Ensuring the right partnerships and collaborations are in place for the team to be most effective.
PhD in Machine learning, Natural language processing or highly relevant field.
• Deep knowledge of latest algorithms (Deep Neural Networks, LSTMs, Embeddings, Semantic Parsing).
• Hands-on experience in both research and coding of commercial systems
• A strong track record of project delivery, that demonstrates customer impact through research and science.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• Experience managing multi-disciplined teams and delivery into production, with large-scale system maintenance.
• Experience with Semantic Web Technology (e.g. Knowledge Graphs, Ontology, Linked Data)
• Experience with automated extraction (NER / ER, Ontology extension) methods
• Experience with developing public facing APIs, and maintain large-scale production services
• Experience of leading by managing other managers