Security Operations Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Since early 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services-gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. With AWS you have the flexibility to choose whichever development platform or programming model makes the most sense for the problems you're trying to solve. You pay only for what you use, with no up-front expenses or long-term commitments, making AWS the most cost-effective way to deliver your application to your customers and clients. And, with AWS, you can take advantage of Amazon.com's global computing infrastructure, that is the backbone of Amazon.com's multi-billion retail business and transactional enterprise whose scalable, reliable, and secure distributed computing infrastructure has been honed for over a decade.
The AWS IT Security team is responsible for the security and availability of all cloud, mobile products, and services offered by AWS, including EC2, S3, Lambda, and many others. Our team works with business stakeholders to solve security challenges at massive scale, and builds tools to automate the auditing and operation of AWS infrastructure. We are looking for security and systems professionals to join us and help continue to raise the security bar for cloud computing.
This role will be located in Seattle, WA
This position supports AWS Security Engineers and Technical Program Managers with security operations and incident response activities. You will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating security response activities for all AWS products and services. You will drive security related issues to resolution across numerous service teams, interacting directly with those teams and other AWS Security engineers.
You will need a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills, as well as the ability to handle a mix of disparate tasks which may include small-project and software development work. This role will provide career growth opportunities as you gain new security skills in the course of your duties.
• Proactively support knowledge sharing within the team and across the company
• Participate in efforts to promote security throughout the Company and build good working relationships within the team and with others across Amazon
• Demonstrate high capacity and tolerance for extreme context switching and interruptions while remaining productive and effective
• Partner with teams throughout the Company
• Develop pragmatic solutions that achieve business requirements while maintaining an acceptable level of risk• Security metrics delivery and improvements
• Assistance with recruiting activities and administrative work
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• 1+ year of demonstrated knowledge in information security fundamentals (threat modeling, penetration testing, incident response, network security, physical security, etc.).
• Ability to troubleshoot technical issues, think critically, and communicate effectively.
• 1+ year of demonstrated knowledge with programming (Python, Ruby, C++, Perl, etc) and system administration (Linux).
• Understanding of web services, distributed systems, and web application development.
• Strong written and spoken English language communication skills.
• Strong customer focus.
• Ability to juggle many tasks and projects in a fast-moving environment.
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
• A drive to take ownership of problems and solve them holistically.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's Leadership Principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
• Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
For more information please contact Ben Sanes at Bssanes@amazon.com
Back to top