Security Operations Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
The AWS Cloud Response Team is responsible for the security and availability of AWS Cloud services; our primary focus is to ensure the security of the cloud and ensure the security of our customers. This role requires engineers to work tactically with both internal and external stakeholders to solve security challenges at massive scale, and to think strategically to develop and implement changes to drive automation, scalability and continuous progress for the organization.
We're looking for talented software and systems professionals with a passion for security who thrive in high pressure environments to help us continue to raise the security bar for cloud computing.
This role will be located in Seattle, WA.
Successful candidates should:
• be able to assess technical vs. business risks and consistently drive internal engineering teams to take the right actions in the appropriate time frames to mitigate risks.
• have a good mix of broad and deep technical knowledge and a demonstrated background in information security.
• be technically proficient in the fields of network and operating system security, cryptography, software security, security operations, incident response, and emergent security intelligence.
• possess a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills, as well as the ability to handle a mix of disparate tasks which may include small-project and software development work.
• be comfortable challenging and escalating to senior leadership to ensure the best outcome for customers at all times.
This role will provide career growth opportunities as you gain new security skills in the course of your duties.
High level responsibilities:
• Triage/assess security issues and engage with internal service teams to ensure timely remediation of issues, escalating internally as necessary to ensure appropriate levels of urgency and engagement.
• Participate in efforts to promote security throughout the Company and build good working relationships within the team and with others across Amazon.
• Demonstrate high capacity and tolerance for extreme context switching and interruptions while remaining productive and effective.
• Develop pragmatic solutions that achieve business requirements while maintaining an acceptable level of risk.
• Assistance with recruiting activities and administrative work.
• Mentoring of junior staff and proactively share knowledge sharing within the team and across the company.
• Fulfill regular on-call responsibilities.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or 3+ years' equivalent technology experience.
• 5+ years or more of demonstrated experience with a focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security.
• 3+ years of experience on a Security Operations team, coordinating responses to security incidents.
• 2+ years of experience Scripting/coding experience with one or more languages, particularly Python.
• Design and coordinate cohesive responses to security events that involve multiple teams across the organization.
• Confidently and intelligently respond to security incidents, and programmatically prevent the same type of incidents from occurring in the future.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
• Have a passion to learn and thrive in a dynamic and constantly changing environment.
• Experience with virtualization technologies, especially with AWS services.
• Relevant industry certifications from SANS, ISC2, Offensive Security etc.
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills.
• Strong demonstrated knowledge of web protocols, common attacks, and an in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture.
• Understanding of best practices across multiple security disciplines/domains.
• Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with a bias for action, critical and creative thinking.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate, develop partnerships and work effectively as a member of a team.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Back to top