SDM - Amazon Go
- Seattle, WA
The Team: Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout. You simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what you want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go.
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology. It automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our technology uses computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA. We need people who want to join a high-reaching program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on our team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We're solving problems that span a broad range of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, and distributed systems. This role involves building/scaling Machine Learning platform used for developing all the algorithms at Amazon Go.
As a Manager of Software Development, you'll manage a team to define, drive and execute on this vision. You'll develop your team of highly motivated and talented builders who can collaborate with product managers, technical specialists, and principals across the company. You should be customer obsessed, data-driven, and comfortable influencing up and down a large organization, especially at senior levels.
• Define the long-term vision, strategy, and goals for your teams
• Manage a development team responsible for the core of Amazon Go's Just Walk Out technology
• Prioritize, plan projects and features, manage partners, and track external commitments.
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the platform while keeping an extremely high bar on customer trust, performance, and availability.
• Foster the career development of your direct reports.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 2+ years managing software development teams including hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
• Experience in partnering with machine learning research, product and program management teams
• Experience with delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies
• A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
• Track record of bringing in and growing engineering talent
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• Experience with agile software development methodologies (Scrum/Kanban)
• Knowledge of software development best practices
• Experience operating critical systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top