Research Scientist, Amazon Books
The Amazon Books Store team is leading Amazon's charge into brick-and-mortar retail, and we are looking for entrepreneurial, analytical, creative, and fun leaders to help us make Amazon Books the world's most customer-centric bookstore and a place that customers love to shop. If you want to join a fast-paced, innovative team that is making history and breaking new ground for Amazon, this is the place for you.
We are seeking a Data / Research Scientist to help us understand and improve our business. In this role you will be responsible for generating the demand and store visitor forecasts for Amazon Books for all product categories and all stores. You will help maintain and improve our forecasting process, and look beyond forecasting to identify other areas of the business we can improve and optimize using data analysis. You will present your forecasts and analyses to senior executives on a regular basis, and build strong relationships with partner and customer teams across Amazon.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building and maintaining statistical predictive models to accurately forecast daily demand and visitor traffic for all categories and all stores.
- Partnering with our finance, marketing, in-stock, category, and operations teams to refine models, inputs and assumptions.
- Maintaining a scalable demand planning process as we increase our number of stores, including managing our relationship with other Amazon forecasting and data science teams, to leverage others' tools and technologies where appropriate.
- Continuously measuring performance and improving models and inputs.
- Serving as a data analytical resource and expert to the Books Store team to assist with business experiments and optimization projects.
- Presenting demand forecasts and other analyses to senior leadership and partner teams.
- Advanced degree in economics, statistics, operations research, mathematics, or other quantitative discipline.
- 3+ years of forecasting, planning, or analytical experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage models for business analysis and forecasting.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, SQL, and statistical software such as R, Stata, or Matlab.
- Experience presenting to senior business leaders.
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to scale processes to meet the needs of a growing business.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with customer and partner teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about all aspects of our business.
- Ability to discover and leverage Amazon's existing tools, including the ability to manage transitions from "house made" systems to more scalable technologies.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top