Are you passionate about machine learning? Do you want to drive the innovation behind real-world recommendation systems? Do you want to impact what is shown to Amazon customers across the website by innovating with Amazon scale data? We are looking for a passionate scientist who wants to apply and develop cutting edge techniques to solve customer problems at the largest scale. We are expanding our centralized recommendation services team to NYC and are looking for a leader in the field to help guide the team and implement real world solutions. Our team focuses on optimizing the customer experience on Amazon.com primarily through content recommendation and are expanding to optimize more aspects of the customer experience. We operate a central service for content recommendations and optimizations. We are looking for scientists to push the boundaries on what we can do for the customer,
In this role as a Sr. Applied Scientist you will:
• Push the boundaries of real world recommendation and optimization systems
• Support science, engineering and product development on a scale only seen at Amazon.
• Champion and define best practices to maximize learnings while mentoring more junior scientists and engineers.
• Obsess over customer needs and satisfaction.
• Create intellectual property, influence others while demonstrating significant creativity and being vocally self-critical.
• Shape product definitions and objective and surface signals on how these objectives meet long term customer needs.
• Translate metrics & signals into actionable plans to calibrate individual components and initiate science studies.
• Operate hands-on and as an implementor of algorithms and models delivered to production systems.
• Help define customer focused research initiatives and consult with leadership on the research roadmap.
• Work with partners to address concerns and incorporate subject matter expertise into our modeling efforts.
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information.
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
• 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• 3+ years working in production systems delivering Reinforcement Learning, Bandit algorithms, Recommendation Systems, Deep Learning, or Embeddings to users.
• Understand both complex and simple modeling techniques and be able to determine when to apply them.
• Multiple publication within the a related research field
• PhD and 7+ years of industry experience in one or more of Recommendation systems, Reinforcement learning, Machine Learning, Optimization.
• 5+ years of industrial experience in software development.
• Demonstrable experience in building, programming and integrating algorithms into production systems
• Proven experience producing computationally efficient software to meet real-time requirements.
• Understanding of the scientific theory behind machine learning techniques
• Understanding of practical considers that need to be addressed when applying machine learning techniques to customer problems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us