Join the world class safety culture at Amazon Web Services (AWS) and be part of supporting the largest cloud computing infrastructure team as a Regional Safety Engineer.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements. Upon application you will be asked qualifying questions that will be used only in relation to the US Government Security Clearance required for this role. Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI
As the Regional Safety Engineer you will own the Health and Safety function of your respective area. You will be responsible for improving the health and safety of our data centers, advancing safety culture, and protecting our employees. Each day you will work with our data center engineers, the people who make the cloud go. They are working with electrical switching equipment, large scale air handling mechanical systems, and critical IT gear. You will work closely with experts in security, construction, operations, logistics, compliance, corporate counsel, and human resources to further the global health safety program. You will partner with employees as well as contractors to achieve health and safety goals and improve our already strong safety culture. You will work in a fast-paced environment where our operations are rapidly changing, advocating safe changes in the face of new infrastructure, new tools, and new products/processes.
• Implement health and safety standards, policies and practices including but not limited to; safety management systems, training, risk assessments, assist with industrial hygiene assessments, and applicable safety regulations.
• Conduct health and safety audits of data centers and active construction sites to ensure compliance with health and safety requirements as well as life safety requirements
• Ensure compliance and implementation of global health and safety programs that exceed regulatory requirements.
• Develop health and safety plans for on-site emergencies, business continuity, and other unique events.
• Maintain adequate safety record keeping and data integrity.
• Perform data trend analysis to present to cluster leadership to support business and safety initiatives.
• Consult and partner with the AWS compliance team for interpretations and guidance.
• Identify risks and partner with Operations to remediate via the hierarchy of controls.
• Daily interactions with our customers delivering health and safety guidance.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Minimum four year college degree in a safety and health or related field.
• 5 or more years of field safety experience in data center operations, construction, manufacturing, or similar industry.
• 5 or more years of experience with and knowledge of local safety and health regulatory laws (Federal OSHA) and practices of investigations and workplace safety.
• 2 or more years of experience designing, revising and implementing safety processes and procedural documentation.
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI
• Experience supporting technical groups such as IT, Engineering, and Operations.
• Experience supporting physical plant operations including electrical and mechanical systems
• CSP or CIH certification.
• Working knowledge of the NFPA70E Standard and experience providing safety guidance for those working on medium voltage electrical systems.
• Experience with detailed hazard recognition and preparation of written assessments/proactive remedies.
• Knowledge of applicable region specific federal, state, and local health and safety regulations (OSHA and NFPA standards).
• High ethical standards with proven ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information; excellent judgment, discretion and diplomacy.
• Self-directed and driven to deliver with quality.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presenting information to leadership within AWS.
• Excellent problem solving skills; self driven to develop quick, scrappy control measures.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and aptitude for learning additional software tools.
• Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies.
• Understands/Practices Amazon's Leadership Principles found here: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/principles