The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist with experience in thin film engineering, who will aid in AWS's effort to bring cloud quantum computing services to its worldwide customer base. Through your work inside and outside of the cleanroom environment, you will lead projects related to the fabrication of novel quantum processors by focusing primarily on the growth and characterization of thin films, and their integration into devices.
As a research scientist you will be expected to work on new ideas and stay abreast of the field of experimental quantum computation. Candidates with a track record of original scientific contributions will be preferred. We are looking for candidates with sound engineering principles, resourcefulness, a bias for action, superior problem solving, and excellent communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential.
At the AWS Center for Quantum Computing, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS, and is aided by our internal wellness program. Further, the work/life integration within our team encourages a culture where employees work hard and also have ownership over their downtime. We also offer flexible hours to help you effectively divide your time between lab and desk work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member at the AWS Center for Quantum Computing, and that includes our research scientists. You will receive management and mentorship from within the team that is geared toward career growth, and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs for scientists and engineers. Working closely with other quantum research scientists will provide opportunities to dive deep into an education on quantum computing.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• PhD in materials science, physics, applied physics, or related engineering field
• A demonstrated track record of original, impactful work done on the engineering and characterization of thin films
• Deep knowledge and research experience related to two or more of the following thin film techniques: ALD, sputter deposition, e-beam/thermal evaporation, MBE, PECVD
• Deep knowledge and research experience related to three or more of the following instruments (and their related sub-techniques): XRD, XPS, TEM, AFM, SEM, FIB, RBS, SIMS, RBS, ellipsometry, electrical probe station
• Deep knowledge and research experience related to superconducting and/or semiconducting materials
• Proficient in a scientific programming environment (i.e., one or more of Python, Julia, MATLAB, Mathematica)
• Excellent skills in problem solving, organization, and communication
• Curiosity and capability to research and learn new techniques and technical topics, as needed
• Comfortable working in a diverse group and contributing to an inclusive culture, alongside other engineers, scientists and technicians who have a wide range of technical skill levels
• Thrives in a collaborative environment
• Experience in fabricating superconducting quantum circuit and/or packaging components
• Background in room temperature and/or cryogenic electronic testing
• Background in utilizing design and layout tools for chip scale devices
• Familiarity with a variety of quantum computing architectures and algorithms
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .