Quality Assurance Engineer III
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Kindle is a revolutionary reading device from one of the most innovative and fastest growing businesses at Amazon. We are seeking a passionate, hard-working, and talented quality assurance engineer (QAE) to join the Kindle Accessibility team. We believe reading is essential for a healthy society, and we want to inspire readers by building the support systems and features that ensure readers of all abilities can reap the benefits of digital reading experiences. We are looking for someone with a passion for solving complex problems, experience testing mission critical software and reusable software libraries, and the tenacity to drive changes across a variety of product experiences.
The ideal candidate is driven and detail oriented with a desire to simplify the way accessibility testing is accomplished at scale. They are highly organized and have excellent written and oral communication skills. They are adept at working across multiple environments (iOS, Android, E-Reader, PC, Mac, and Web) and hold a high standard for quality. They are innovative and self-directed and have the ability to help develop and test tools that enable partner Kindle engineering teams create their own accessible products and services. As the QAE for Kindle Accessibility you will own the accessibility quality bar for Kindle products and services with the goal ensuring the best possible results for our customers with disabilities.
Role and Responsibilities:
The QAE will test code at the user level, both manually and with automated tools. Our QA Engineer is not a pure black box tester; they are more grey box, able to understand software internals, debug problems using log files, and write automated tests with Perl/Java scripts and/or user-level automated tools. The QAE will work with software development engineers, and business owners to understand technical implementation of features. The QAE will also work with groups such as product management, partner engineering team QAEs and customer support to understand customer usage models, setup suitable accessible test suites and develop test plans and that approximate real-world environments.
The QAE is specifically responsible for:
• Writing test plans, test cases, and provide suggestion in improving the QA processes.
• Implementing Test Automation leveraging automation frameworks while driving processes to reduce manual test coverage.
• Defining Quality Metrics and implement measurements to determine test effectiveness, testing efficiency, and measure the overall quality of the software.
• Ensuring our products meet high standards of quality, performance, Security, and reliability.
• Designing and implementing Test Strategy to deliver high-quality accessible products and services
• Helping tackle cross-platform engineering challenges and contribute creative ideas to the engineering teams.
The Kindle Accessibility team is part of the broader Books Programs Tech organization and is focused on solving the challenges faced by people with disabilities with the goal of ensuring every customer, regardless of age, location, or ability, can buy, read, publish, and share books.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
• 5-10 years of software quality assurance engineering experience
• 5-10 years of experience in QA methodology and industry-standard testing and bug tracking tools
• Strong experience with UI and web test automation
• Strong ability to create, execute, and maintain comprehensive and air-tight test plans
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to track multiple test executions simultaneously and synthesize the results
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate cross-functionally and across management levels in formal and informal settings
• Proficiency with assistive technology such as screen readers and braille displays.
• Diverse QA experience on a variety of platforms: websites, mobile (iOS and Android), rich client applications (PC and Mac), and backend services
• Experience building test harnesses and test tools
• Fluency in Java and/ or C++
• Enthusiasm to dig into technical specifications and to troubleshoot problems
• Creativity and initiative for improving product coverage and effectiveness
• Understanding of good User Interface design
• Passion for accessibility and experience with related technologies for example screen readers.
• Strong empathy for customers with disabilities.
Back to top