Public Policy Intern
- Beijing, China
Work hard, have fun, and make history with Amazon Public Policy. We are looking for a hardworking and innovative individual to support our Public Policy team on a broad range of policy issues in the US at the federal, state, and local levels. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
Working with the entire Public Policy team, the Public Policy Intern will help develop Amazon's position on policy issues, research policy matters, interact with trade associations, and represent the company at meetings and events. The Public Policy Intern will work collaboratively with the team to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Intern will work closely with team members to assess government activities of importance to Amazon, anticipate potential government actions, and develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions to assist in our external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives.
This paid Intern position will be based in Washington, DC, and will be working full-time hours through the Summer of 2021. The role is broad-based and will require an individual who can thrive in a dynamic environment. Successful candidates are organized, detail-oriented, and effective communicators.
Focus and Deliverables
• Work collaboratively with the US Public Policy team on a wide range of projects to support Amazon's core business priorities and public policy goals
• Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves
• Ensure policymaker awareness of Amazon's business model, and help coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and initiatives in concert with business objectives
• BA/BS required
• Currently enrolled in a Law degree or relevant Master's degree program
• Work, internship, or other leadership experience in a professional environment, with an emphasis and demonstrated interest in public policy and government relations work
• A keen understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy process as well as the technology industry
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience creating and effectively delivering factual, relevant, and easily understandable talking points and other messaging
• Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
• Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels
• Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results
• Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers
• Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others, with the ability to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top