Prototyping Lab Manager
- London, United Kingdom
AWS is looking for a Manager for its new Customer Facing Prototyping Labs in EMEA, based in Luxembourg.
The Prototyping Lab is part of the wider Prototyping Team who is supporting and enable AWS customers to explore, experiment and develop cloud based solutions using emerging technologies, by developing a first working Prototype - a real, hands on technical implementation of a solution to a customer's business challenge. It brings the technology and the business concepts together, focusing on co-development and knowledge transfer to AWS customers.
AWS Prototyping engagements are regularly conducted remotely or co-developed at the Customer's location. The Customer Facing Prototyping Lab will offer a physical AWS location that hosts prototyping engagements in a purpose build AWS space for builders/ engineers.
The key functions of the Customer Facing Prototyping Lab are: (1) Showcase AWS HW devices as well as various large demonstrators (2) Development space for on-site prototyping engagements with external customers (3) Co-development with strategic partners of physical demonstrators to showcase industry specific solutions (4) Development and test environments for the other AWS teams, customer technical sessions and hackathons.
The Prototyping Lab Manager responsibilities fall into two main areas: Driving new Lab initiatives and management and admin duties:
(1) Lab Management:
• Administrate and oversee the daily operations and develop the content and strategy for the Lab;
• Schedule, budget and oversee projects conducted related to laboratory equipment and prototyping pods
• Oversee cost center, approve budget expenditures and initiate the procurement of new equipment
• Oversee maintenance and repair of equipment; maintain inventory of supplies and materials
• Collaborate with the rest of the Prototyping team to continuously improve the IOT Lab Customer experience
• Continual evaluation and improvement of laboratory safety
• Maintain records and prepare various operational reports
(2) Drive Lab initiatives:
• Propose new development initiatives
• Coordinate the design and build of hardware and software prototyping demonstrators
• Manage the technical team (permanent and temporary assigned to Lab initiatives)
• Oversee the development and construction of instrumentation and hardware used for on-site prototyping engagements
• Prospect and manage the partnership with Lab technology providers
• Demonstrate the use of various Lab equipment and demonstrators to internal and external audience
• Evangelize the Lab activities to internal and external stakeholder
• Support AWS marketing actives leveraging the Lab equipment and facility
• BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
• Strong leaderships skills, independent, self-initiative and pro-active approach
• Experience in coordinating hardware development projects
• Knowledge of lab equipment acquisitions and operational techniques (visual displays, IT software/hardware, networking, 3D printing, circuit board printers)
• Experienced with engineering labs safety practices supervising others in a hardware lab environment.
• Experience of overall management of an engineering or R&D lab
• 5+ years of software development experience or hands-on solutions architect
• Hands-on development experience with AWS cloud services
• experience in designing and developing applications in an AWS Cloud environment,. Particularly in IoT, ML, VR/AR, Robotics
• An ability and willingness to multi-task and quickly learn new technologies
Back to top