Product Design Engineer
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Product Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development and quality of products. You will contribute as a member of an enclosure team. You will take responsibility for leading project teams, technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives, at times delegating tasks to achieve your objectives and mentoring junior engineers. You will demonstrate cross-functional resource interaction to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity of the entire team. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems, with expertise in systems integration, the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. You must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate your ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. You must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
- Research into materials and component technologies to scope development opportunities
- Feature design and testing to meet program objective
- Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
- Provide detail part design and product documentation
- Field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
- Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
- Provide cross-functional program integration support to insure team success
- Lead project teams to timely delivery of products
- Manage schedules and milestones
- Manage interaction with overseas resources
- Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience in consumer handheld electronic devices or equivalent experience
- Experience with 3D CAD skills; ProEngineer
- Master's degree
- Mandarin language skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
- Demonstrated design experience with high volume/high finish consumer electronics enclosure materials
- Demonstrated design experience integrating component modules (I/O, Displays, Batteries, PCBs, etc.)
- Analytic problem solving skills, including knowledge of 8D, Six Sigma, DOE or similar disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
- This position will require international travel
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top