Process Safety Engineer, North America AMZL
The North American (NA) Amazon Logistics (AMZL) Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is seeking an experienced, innovative, hands on and customer obsessed Safety Engineer to drive development and implementation of safety design standards associated with AMZL buildings, site designs, process innovation and equipment standardization across our Last Mile delivery network. As a member of the NA Amazon Logistics EHS team you will be responsible to partner with the Engineering Department, Process Engineering and AMZL Launch, Construction and Real Estate Teams in building and site review to ensure safety standards are included in the design. This individual will assist in the safe deployment of new equipment in partnership with engineering, facilities and operations team. They will also partner with our process engineering teams to review, modify and implement new processes within buildings. They must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing and possess excellent safety program management skills. This individual needs to be an expert in safety, environmental and ergonomic standards and regulatory compliance.
This position requires deep customer focus, strong self-motivation and exceptional project management skills. It will involve regular communication with project sponsors and executive presentations, and requires you to be detail-oriented and comfortable partnering and leading cross-functional business and technical teams. To be successful in this role, you need strong innovation experience to pair with strong analytical skills and a data-driven outlook.
- Interpret regulatory codes, safety standards, training and procedures. Develop safety engineering design specifications
- Advises safety, engineering, and operations teams on safety regulations and regulatory compliance concerns relating to building, process and equipment design.
- Perform safety risk assessments, regulatory compliance reviews and ergonomic reviews on equipment and operations processes.
- Work with various teams to review and approval of new and modified equipment. Must be independently driven to seek improvement opportunities in the safety review process. .
- Maintain all regulatory compliance documentation to ensure accurate and up to date adherence to set standards.
- Participate in new standards development
- Have a knowledge and understanding of certification bodies for approvals and CE marking and manage projects related to certifications that comply with local, national and international regulations.
- Working knowledge of integrating new systems into new and existing work environments.
- Knowledge of ISO, OSHA, EPA, DOT, FDA, NFPA, ANSI and other Federal / State regulations and consensus standards
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
5+ years' experience of Safety Engineering.
- Experience implementing lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment.
- Experience interacting with cross functional teams.
- Willingness to be flexible regarding shifts.
- Knowledge of CE directives and OSHA regulations.
- Comprehension and practical application of risk assessments.
- Experience certifying new products, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Willing to travel, up to 40%
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, safety or a related field.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office.
- Working knowledge of: ISO, OSHA, CFR, ANSI, etc.
- Distribution Center or Manufacturing Safety experience with mix of exempt and non-exempt employees at a site of at least 250 people preferred.
- Master's degree preferred
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top