Principal, UX Design, AWS
- Seattle, WA
Want to disrupt an industry by delighting customers? Looking for a job where your work has direct and massive impact? Excited to help define and build a new category of AWS services? Come be a leader on a new team that is disrupting the historical limitations of business applications.
AWS and Amazon Business Applications are looking for a design leader to help us define and build a new family of products from the ground up. You will be delivering some of the most advanced Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technologies to tackle real world problems. You will drive digital product design, partner with user researchers, and development teams to deliver great user experiences. This leader will have a significant impact on our business as they contribute to the design and research direction for multiple AWS products and platforms.
AWS Business Apps works to enable our users, from Netflix to your next-door neighbor, to harness the power of the cloud. You will work on some of the world's biggest design challenges and create products that allow anyone to take advantage of the power of AWS.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about user experience, loves thinking big, and wants to make real impact on how internal/external customers benefit from business applications in their day-to-day. You are also deeply passionate about building diverse teams that deliver the highest quality services. You are naturally customer centric and thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires strong technical and business judgment, and solid communication skills.
The successful candidate can look around corners to define a vision for our core experiences. To accomplish this, you will design and socialize experiences that drive engagement and excitement throughout the organization - working closely with our partners in research, product management and engineering across AWS to help shape a next generation of business applications. Because the scope of this position will extend across a number of programs, the ability to balance high-level strategy and holistic reasoning with a detail-oriented eye is imperative.
You would be a good for this role if:
• You enjoy working efficiently to build the right things with limited guidance.
• Your practical experience, high level of skill, and insight into intuitive and user-friendly UX is demonstrated via applications that raise the bar for both security and ease of use across platforms.
• You have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices.
• You are passionate about partnering strategically with internal and external executives and other senior leaders to create and deliver visionary and customer-focused solutions.
• You are a critical thinker who envisions holistic solutions for your users that span the entire customer journey.
• You drive experiences that visually provoke and captivate.
• You see patterns and connect dots as part of your daily process.
• You are an emphatic teammate who flourishes when collaborating closely with other disciplines and partners.
• You are a self-starter who thrives on ambiguity, and is comfortable moving fast and wearing many hats.
What you'll do:
• Contribute to 3-5 year vision of customer experience and product definition for multiple programs Provide leadership and design direction, influencing across teams and giving thoughtful, detailed and actionable design feedback.
• Design useful, usable, and desirable products in a team environment
• Understand customers and their needs through market analysis, customer research, and feedback
• Use business requirements to assist in developing use cases and high-level requirements.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively within cross-functional teams that span design, product, engineering, and management.
• Design the UX, visual style, user interface, information architecture, and interaction flows
• Develop and contribute deep knowledge of the latest user research practices, HCI research, design guidelines, and design heuristics.
• Lead design reviews and present to senior stakeholders and executive-level leadership. Develop and execute a strategic program of research in support of our growing applications business
• Develop personas, customer journey maps, conceptual diagrams, wireframes, and prototypes.
• Facilitate the design process, present and iterate design solutions
• Chart a course for yourself in ambiguous situations
• Mentor and assist junior designers and interns
• Represent the most customer-centric intersection between design, business, content and technology.
• Use diverse inputs to identify and define new concepts and opportunities, and apply new technologies appropriately to address the needs of AWS customers.
• 10+ years of professional experience as a UX designer, interaction designer, product designer, or similar role.
• A human-centered design process that balances data, customer insights, problem-solving, craftsmanship, and discerning taste
• Experience leading projects in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary organization, including designers, researchers, product managers and software developers.
• Ability to work across organizational boundaries and manage ambiguity to influence and deliver results.
• Proven experience with iterative design and development processes at a global scale.
• Effectiveness presenting to and advising senior management; ability to comfortably and confidently present complex concepts to all levels within the organization in both written and verbal communication.
• A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience, deliverables (eg: study plans, reports, personas), and entrepreneurial innovation across a broad range of methods
• Finely tuned analytical skills. You pinpoint the important information within a sea of data.
• Excellent communications skills. You are accomplished at conveying complex concepts clearly and persuasively to a variety of audiences; you have a demonstrated ability to customer insights to executive leadership.
• Hands-on experience with user insights and trends research, iterative prototype evaluation, value proposition assessment, concept testing, lab-based user testing, and field research.
• MS or Ph.D. in Human Factors, HCDE, Cognitive Psychology or similar.
• Previous experience in an incubation environment or on "v1" products or services.
• Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research.
• Experience with consumer software.
• Exceptional behavioral and attitudinal data-collection and analysis skills, (e.g. gathering, and analyzing all kinds of user data).
• Experience with agile software development and how design research fits within that framework.
• Experience working in a large and fast paced software development environment of enterprise scale.
• A healthy mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
Back to top