Principal Technical Program Manager
Principal Technical Program Manager, Selection Monitoring
Amazon's Selection Monitoring team is responsible for making the biggest catalog on the planet even bigger. We build software to find products not already sold on Amazon and algorithmically add them to the Amazon catalog. Our work involves building state-of-the-art Information Retrieval (IR) infrastructure, extracting structured-data from unstructured-content, automatic item classification, storage systems to hold the massive catalog and distributed systems of cloud-scale. We apply the state- of- the-art parallel processing and machine learning algorithms to evaluate millions of products every day and to identify and prioritize new additions to Amazon's selection efficiently. We constantly stretch the boundaries of cloud-scale distributed systems, elastic computing, big data, and SOA technologies to tackle business challenges at Amazon scale. If you are customer obsessed, driven, tenacious and analytical, you will have fun solving our business problems of unprecedented scale. You will develop deep technical expertise and learn designing large scale distributed, service-oriented systems. Come join us in our journey to make everything – and yes, we do mean everything – that anyone wants to buy, available on Amazon!
The ideal candidate will have excellent program management, problem solving and communication skills and be comfortable interacting with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels. In addition, the ability to work backwards and think from a customer perspective is crucial.
You must be able to:
- Interact with Project Sponsors, other Technical Program Managers, and multiple development teams to define and deliver complex cross-functional projects.
- Drive large scale projects spanning teams across Amazon from inception to conclusion, formulate the product vision, define user stories, research appropriate technical solutions.
- Clearly communicate vision, plans and project status to management and key technical and business stakeholders.
- Work closely with the software development team on delivering high-quality solutions, and provide guidance regarding architecture, design, and priorities.
- Engage with other teams across Amazon to evangelize the team and your projects, to build relationships and help identify existing technologies that can be leveraged to meet your team's goals.
- Identify, assess and mitigate risks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs balancing the business needs versus constraints.
- Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders.
- Excellent program management, problem solving and communication skills; experience in interacting with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong software development background with experience in software development cycle, and in managing and delivering large cross-functional programs.
- Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on programs.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically and to drive execution. Should be equally comfortable with long term planning and day to day progress tracking and execution.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and of delivering results in a fast paced environment, including history of successfully delivering large scale projects end to end, through the entire life-cycle.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical field (e.g. computer science, engineering), 10+ years of relevant work experience in software development, 5+ years of work experience in technical leadership, program management, or similar roles.
- Work experience in the e-commerce industry, or in management consulting with focus on e-commerce, retail, or high-tech.
- Background in big data analytics, decision making based on big data.
- Experience with agile methodologies.
- Experience in Unix/Linux environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top