Principal Technical Program Manager
- Seattle, WA
How would you like to deliver the center of the retail universe? How would you like to help thousands of engineers build and ship rich app experiences each and every day for hundreds of millions of customers around the world? How would you like to make a lasting impact to the world's top-rated shopping application? The Amazon Shopping App's Mobile Shopping Foundations team is seeking an exceptional Principal Technical Program Manager who combines technical depth, unparalleled communication skills, analytical talent, and a demonstrated ability to manage complex, cross-functional programs and projects. We want your help to develop and execute the vision for how customers engage with Amazon in the mobile shopping app by taking advantage of the best features available in apps.
In this role you will operate with independence to define and drive the overall end-to-end execution of our roadmap to reorient Amazon retail around the app customer experience. You will see around corners to manage dependencies, dive deep with engineers across the company, and regularly communicate with VPs, senior leaders, and stakeholders at all levels. You will amplify your impact working closely with a talented team of software development managers, principal engineers, and senior leaders to define business and systems requirements, write design specifications, drive project schedules from design to release, and manage the production launch of a brand-new app architecture. You will drive mindful discussions that lead to crisp decisions, ensuring business and technical leaders are aligned. You will demonstrate exceptional judgment in making trade offs, building consensus, knowing how and when to escalate, and identifying and mitigating risks before they become blockers. You will clearly and succinctly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes so your teammates and leaders understand the decisions they have to make and the downstream consequences.
The right candidate will possess a stellar technical program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading large, significantly complex projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background conversant in current mobile technologies. You understand technical program management and engineering best practices and you use that knowledge to drive simple and coherent approaches to mobile architecture and system design. You must be able to thrive and succeed in a dynamic environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a Principal TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, and anticipate and make tradeoffs, balancing the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications and project plans, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Balances business requirements and technical details
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Math or related field.
• 6-10+ years of experience in managing large scale and cross functional projects.
• Experience in communicating with a wide range of partners.
• Experience working with globally diverse teams.
• Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving.
• Proven track record of delivery.
• Experience delivering broadly adopted technology products/services in a very high growth environment where priorities shift fast.
• Extensive experience with mobile application development.
• An innovative thinker who obsesses over developers and customers.
• Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit with a dogged determination to make a broad impact.
• Passion for mobile development. We would love to hear about apps you've developed.
• Force multiplies the effectiveness of the entire team.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top