Principal Technical Program Manager
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates software, hardware, and the processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers that move billions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when promised. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
We use innovative technologies to simplify the process by taking advantage of materials handling automation, machine vision, robotics, and machine learning. Our highly scalable distributed systems are designed to handle billions of transactions a year. We are seeking an innovative, intellectually curious, results-oriented technology leader who will be responsible for driving our product roadmap, software development and operations of our systems. In this position, you will guide the efforts of developers across multiple locations as we build the next generation of Amazon's Fulfillment Centers.
As a technical leader, you will be a pragmatic visionary that can translate business needs into technology solutions that scale both technically and operationally. You are responsible for driving quality and enabling technical innovation. You will recruit top talent, manage evolving / complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal organizations. You will draw on customer feedback, usage and operational data, and your experience leading technology businesses to set and deliver on aggressive goals for adoption, operational performance, feature delivery, and revenue.
• You must be able to:
• Interact with Project Sponsors, other Technical Program Managers, and multiple development teams to define and deliver complex cross-functional projects.
• Drive large scale projects spanning teams across Amazon from inception to conclusion, formulate the product vision, define user stories, research appropriate technical solutions.
• Clearly communicate vision, plans and project status to management and key technical and business stakeholders.
• Work closely with the software development team on delivering high-quality solutions, and provide guidance regarding architecture, design, and priorities.
• Engage with other teams across Amazon to evangelize the team and your projects, to build relationships and help identify existing technologies that can be leveraged to meet your team's goals.
• Identify, assess and mitigate risks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs balancing the business needs versus constraints.
• Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 7+ years of technical program management experience
• MBA or Advanced degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• Must be technically credible to lead teams of world-class software engineers and be able to make the right design decisions and technology choice
• Excellent program management, problem solving and communication skills; experience in interacting with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
• Strong software development background with experience in software development cycle, and in managing and delivering large cross-functional programs.
• Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on programs.
• Ability to think both strategically and tactically and to drive execution. Should be equally comfortable with long term planning and day to day progress tracking and execution.
• Proven track record of taking ownership and of delivering results in a fast paced environment, including history of successfully delivering large scale projects end to end, through the entire life-cycle.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top