Principal Technical Program Manager - AI Operations
- Seattle, WA
Alexa is shaping the future of voice based personal assistants, and we need your help! Alexa is the Amazon cloud service and brain that powers Echo, the award-winning and groundbreaking Amazon device designed around you and your voice. Echo connects to Alexa to provide information, answer questions, play music, read the news, check sports scores or the weather, and much more.
About Alexa Speech
Alexa Speech owns the speech and acoustic event technology for Alexa. Our mission is to enable Alexa to understand and respond to customers on any device, in any language, under any noise conditions. We own the systems that (1) wake Alexa when customers desire, (2) convert customer speech to text, (3) identify speakers by voice (4) detect sounds and vocalizations beyond speech (e.g. smoke alarms), (5) create the voice of Alexa, and (6) enable local processing on Alexa devices for speed and offline functionality.
About This Role
Amazon Alexa is seeking a Principal Technical Program Manager to help us deliver the next generation of Alexa Speech. In this role you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects across Alexa. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal teams and outside merchants and vendors to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams. You'll also be responsible for ensuring our team operates efficiently. You'll own our mechanisms for identifying the right long-term strategy and projects for the next year. You'll own and improve the mechanisms we use to track goals, status, and business metrics across teams. You'll coordinate cross-team programs, such as ensuring we're scaled to handle major events. You'll help teams identify key risks, provide guidance on how to communicate them, and ensure leadership has the right visibility.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies and machine learning. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a Principal TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 7+ years of technical program management experience
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• 10+ years of experience managing software development programs
• Experience managing programs & driving schedules that involve multiple stakeholder teams
• Experience with bug tracking systems & business applications such as Word, Excel and Project
• Experience managing strategic organizational planning, such as long-term vision, 6-to-12-month planning
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and both technical and non-technical individuals
• Experience scaling the processes of a growing organization
• Comfortable working in an agile, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top