Principal Technical Program Manager
Would you like to be one of the leaders of a team that is solving new business challenges through innovative technology?
The Team: Amazon Books is a brick and mortar store that offers a curated selection of books and an array of Amazon devices. It is a magical experience that combines the best parts of a neighborhood bookstore with Amazon.com's low prices and the expertise of passionate, knowledgeable staff who tailor their approach to the unique needs of each customer.
The team is building brand new Product Search and Discovery solutions for the Amazon Books customer. We will help customers discover the products they would like faster and enable them to make a purchase they will be delighted with. Customers are asking questions like "Do you have it in the store?", "Which store is it available in?", "What would you recommend for me?" To give them the answer, we need to use innovative technology to identify where the customer is physically located and search through millions of records while maintaining low latency. We use Amazon's massive amount of data to personalize the customer experience and connect their online and offline presence.
The organization has also launched Amazon's own Point of Sale System You will lead the program management for the point of sale systems including the software stack, the hardware and peripheral decisions, the manufacturing, procurement and provisioning processes and influencing key partners in the hardware and technical operations partner teams.
You will co-own goals for building a system that is highly secure, can scale to hundreds of physical stores, independent of form factor, independent of desktop or mobile mode, independent of hardware and operating system.
The Role: Everyone on our team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We're solving problems across a broad range of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
As a Principal Technical Program Manager, you will drive the design and work closely with the technical team to ensure the requirements are implemented efficiently and appropriately. You'll need to work well cross functionally, have strong interpersonal and written communication skills, be able to operate successfully both strategically and tactically, and have a strong bias for action.
You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven't been solved at scale before - anywhere. You will encounter challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. We're looking for entrepreneurs who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, can demonstrate a high degree of ownership, and want to have fun while they make history and craft beautiful products.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ years of technical program management experience
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills, with ability to work successfully across all engineering disciplines.
- Maturity, judgment, and proven ability to lead and influence others.
- Independently driven, resourceful, and able to deliver results with minimal direction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with developers, business owners, and senior business leaders.
- High sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience driving multiple products through a complete life cycle
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top